Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! My husband was just offered a 2-year job in Versailles! We will be moving there in February with our dog and baby. We would like to find housing before we get there, if possible. Can you recommend any websites that we should use (or avoid) in apartment hunting? Also, are there any areas to avoid? We would like to spend under E1000, and ideally we would like an apartment with a yard for the dog. Is this at all reasonable or possible?

Also, how difficult would it be for me to get a work visa? We aren't sure I can get one through his job.

Thank you!!

Kim

·
Administrator
50,375 Posts
I would have to advise very strongly against securing accommodation before your arrival. If necessary, try to at least make a "house hunting" run. It's far too easy to conceal really awful problems if you're only going by the online photos and descriptions of a place. (Actually, if your husband's employer is relocating you, they should spring for at least a couple of weeks of accommodation on arrival to allow you to find more permanent digs.)

To find a house with a yard, especially for under 1000€, you're going to need to look outside Versailles proper - in one of the many smaller towns in the area - but there are loads of those, so no real problem.

One fairly "easy" place to start window shopping at least is on the Century 21 website. Yes, Century 21 is in France and they do often list rentals. (The sites are all in French, however, but it's good practice.) Location immobilier : louer un bien immobilier, logement ou commerce

Your situation regarding a work visa is going to depend on what sort of visa your husband is getting. Unless it's a "researcher or scientific" it's highly likely you won't be able to work at all. But then again, in the current economy, finding a job is a very difficult task for a foreigner unless your French is very good and you have qualifications that are in particular demand (and in short supply in the general population here).

On a plain old dependent visa, you have to be prepared to return to the US to make your application for a work visa after the potential employer has secured authorization to hire a foreigner. But be wary of small employers who have never dealt with the immigration requirements and who think they can sponsor a work visa for you with just any old job. You'll have better luck with a large, multinational company that has experience in securing work visas.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Kim,
We used a "relocation agent", a very nice lady to whom we gave all our requests regarding what kind of housing we wanted, then she showed about 10 different properties for us in 1 day, all within our budget. Once we chose a place she also helped with the application file, the negotiation and the contract with the landlord. I think she costs about 2000E and it was covered by my husband's company. I don't want to do any advertising on the forum so if you're interested you can send me a message and I'll pass the coordinates to you.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Mathilde

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
I want a job like that :) - relocation agent, I mean

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello! My husband was just offered a 2-year job in Versailles! We will be moving there in February with our dog and baby. We would like to find housing before we get there, if possible. Can you recommend any websites that we should use (or avoid) in apartment hunting? Also, are there any areas to avoid? We would like to spend under E1000, and ideally we would like an apartment with a yard for the dog. Is this at all reasonable or possible?

Also, how difficult would it be for me to get a work visa? We aren't sure I can get one through his job.

Thank you!!

Kim
Hi Kimmy, I just noticed your post, if it is not too late I recommend you check out a site that can help you understand all the french real estate terminology in english when you are reading renting ads on different sites. There is even a search for terms box. the site is
www esreafrance com
I hope this helps,
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.