Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Melbourne and looking for 1 BHK furnished (decent condition) or a Studio (furnished) near by to CBD.May be 30-40 min close by.

Kindly advise on the estimated budget I should keep in mind and if possible suggest some locations/websites for the hunt.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
338 Posts
300-400 $ per week in CBD. The further outside, the cheaper. 30-40 Minutes away is pretty far. You can probably find something for around 200-300 $ easily.

domain.com.au seems to be the best site for this, I find.

As for location, depends on what you want. East is more expensive, west has bad public transport. North and south are more lively and reasonable cheap.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am moving to Melbourne and looking for 1 BHK furnished (decent condition) or a Studio (furnished) near by to CBD.May be 30-40 min close by.

Kindly advise on the estimated budget I should keep in mind and if possible suggest some locations/websites for the hunt.

Thanks in advance.
In CBD area, $2000 for a furnished 1 bedroom apt with garage. You can rent out the garage for $200 per month so effectively $1800 per month.

40min travel is good for both open life and big houses :) Sunshine, st albans, sydneham, delahey, brimbank, werribee, point cook, altona, essendon, hallam, dandenong, oak park, moone ponds, pascoe vale are the preferred areas by indian (asians in specific). In here, you can find an independent house/townhouse/unit consisting 2 bedroom unfurnished for $1200 per month. all these suburbs are nearly 35-55min by train. Monthly pass for Zone1+Zone2 (all these suburbs are in Zone 2 except few like sunshine) will cost you $185.

usual rental is between 250pw-320pw for 2 bedroom townhouse...or 3 bedroom for 280-350 per week.

Monthly expenses :
Elec - 50-80
Gas - 40-60
Telephone - 80 (unlimited internet and calls to india/uk/canada/us)
set top box - $10 ($350 initial setup cost and free for first year with ALL channels indian, pak etc)

petrol/lpg - 120 (my usage)
bus/train/tram pass - 185
monthly groceries (indian) - 300 (4 adults + 1 infant)
eat outs - 500 (we do eat out a lot - indian places not rest/big hotels)
monthly rent - 1250
shopping - 300-400 (usual window shopping)
shopping by wife - 500+ :( (can't control)

·
Registered
256 Posts
In CBD area, $2000 for a furnished 1 bedroom apt with garage. You can rent out the garage for $200 per month so effectively $1800 per month.

40min travel is good for both open life and big houses :) Sunshine, st albans, sydneham, delahey, brimbank, werribee, point cook, altona, essendon, hallam, dandenong, oak park, moone ponds, pascoe vale are the preferred areas by indian (asians in specific). In here, you can find an independent house/townhouse/unit consisting 2 bedroom unfurnished for $1200 per month. all these suburbs are nearly 35-55min by train. Monthly pass for Zone1+Zone2 (all these suburbs are in Zone 2 except few like sunshine) will cost you $185.

usual rental is between 250pw-320pw for 2 bedroom townhouse...or 3 bedroom for 280-350 per week.

Monthly expenses :
Elec - 50-80
Gas - 40-60
set top box - $10 ($350 initial setup cost and free for first year with ALL channels indian, pak etc)

monthly rent - 1250
Thats interesting!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Monthly expenses :
Elec - 50-80
Gas - 40-60

monthly rent - 1250
Hi Raaj,

Is it possible to watch indian channels there using set top box ? I beleive indian channels satellites are not setup for Australia..

Please let me know..

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts

Monthly expenses :
Elec - 50-80
Gas - 40-60

monthly rent - 1250
The electric figure seems low. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and our bill is never less than $100 per month but can go up to $150 per month in the winter (it gets cold here!). We do have a washer/dryer and do laundry fairly frequently, but they're new and fairly energy efficient.

Also, most people have to pay for water usage, which for us is about $50-60 per quarter. (We don't pay for the sewerage component - if we did it would be more.) We don't pay for gas so I don't know about that figure.

$500 for eating out seems really low to me, but I guess we eat out more than we should. A "cheap" meal for two is $40-50 and goes up from there. Basically this means you'd be eating out no more than 2-3 times per week. I guess I like eating out too much. :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
The electric figure seems low. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment and our bill is never less than $100 per month but can go up to $150 per month in the winter (it gets cold here!). We do have a washer/dryer and do laundry fairly frequently, but they're new and fairly energy efficient.

Also, most people have to pay for water usage, which for us is about $50-60 per quarter. (We don't pay for the sewerage component - if we did it would be more.) We don't pay for gas so I don't know about that figure.

$500 for eating out seems really low to me, but I guess we eat out more than we should. A "cheap" meal for two is $40-50 and goes up from there. Basically this means you'd be eating out no more than 2-3 times per week. I guess I like eating out too much. :)
That was quite useful. I will be arriving on 10th Feb 2014 in Melbourne and will be staying in a temporary accommodation. On average, if all documents are there and finance check ok, how fast can I get a rented property to stay - looking at a landed property in the southwest suburbs. Also any idea on the area around Point Cook in terms of transport and access to Port Melbourne/CBD where I will be working?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
That was quite useful. I will be arriving on 10th Feb 2014 in Melbourne and will be staying in a temporary accommodation. On average, if all documents are there and finance check ok, how fast can I get a rented property to stay - looking at a landed property in the southwest suburbs. Also any idea on the area around Point Cook in terms of transport and access to Port Melbourne/CBD where I will be working?
It depends but usually within a fortnight or a month at most. Landlords tend to want to get people in as quickly as possible especially if the unit has been vacant.

From most of Point Cook you will need to take a bus to the train, then the train into the CBD (and then a tram from the CBD to Port Melbourne). About an hour commute one-way by public transport, possibly longer depending on where in Point Cook and where in Port Melbourne.

·
Registered
252 Posts
But can a new migrant actually rent anything without having local rental history and rental references , or a Job in hand

My understanding is that you hang around shared accommodation find a job have a few rent receipts and then rent

·
Registered
47 Posts
But can a new migrant actually rent anything without having local rental history and rental references , or a Job in hand

My understanding is that you hang around shared accommodation find a job have a few rent receipts and then rent
I have a job in hand - but how do I get rental receipts when I cannot rent without rental history? :) Anyone who has secured your first rental, your advice please...

·
Registered
252 Posts
I have a job in hand - but how do I get rental receipts when I cannot rent without rental history? :) Anyone who has secured your first rental, your advice please...

Take some from home

like letters from your India landlords etc , I read this somewhere not sure if it helps

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
We initially sublet an apartment for two months before renting our own place. We used the owner of the sublet unit as a local landlord reference. That worked well, and it also gave us the chance to "try" out an area before committing to a year plus lease.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We initially sublet an apartment for two months before renting our own place. We used the owner of the sublet unit as a local landlord reference. That worked well, and it also gave us the chance to "try" out an area before committing to a year plus lease.
Yep thats a good approach

·
Registered
63 Posts

May be you don't have the gas option and using electric stove that's why electric bill is more than mentioned like if you combine gas+electric then it is more or less same..

anyways my question to you is how is electricity is linked with winter coldness?

Electric space heater is required? is it that much cold? appreciate your response.

and those who want to come just for temporary visit then what's the suitable option other than hotels/motels?

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
May be you don't have the gas option and using electric stove that's why electric bill is more than mentioned like if you combine gas+electric then it is more or less same.. anyways my question to you is how is electricity is linked with winter coldness? Electric space heater is required? is it that much cold? appreciate your response. and those who want to come just for temporary visit then what's the suitable option other than hotels/motels?
I have a gas stove, so that theory doesn't work.

It gets cold here in winter. You will probably want to get an electric blanket or even a space heater, since most places don't have central heating. So yes your bill will be higher in winter.

Try Airbnb for lodging.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Alight now we have heard/ read a number of place we need

1) Local OZ references for rentals
2) Local rental history

Now I read I think Anj mentioning her AirBnB host offering here a reference , so that's one good thing does Air BnB payments also qualify as rental history if yes what are the kind of receipt / document one should try to obtain ?

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
Was looking through to read about suburbs and found this http://theage.domain.com.au/greater-melbourne/the-list-melbourne-suburbs-liveability-ranking-revealed-20111122-1nrv2.html some may have already seen this but still thought of sharing maybe Anj and the others can vet how close this is to reality ....
Well it makes sense that the most expensive suburbs are the most liveable...

I personally don't think you can go wrong with any inner suburb of Melbourne and it will ultimately come down to your size requirements and your budget. To give you some perspective, a 3 bed new detached house with a garage and garden in Preston is about the same price as a 60 sq m 2 bedder in St Kilda.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts