Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Can you please guide us on the formalities, limitations and other factors associated with initial housing contract as an unemployed migrant? What are the general issues faced? I will be moving to Melbourne with the family and need to plan it as soon as possible...

·
Registered
259 Posts
There could be a few problems with getting approved for a rental if you're unemployed and a new migrant with no rental history in Australia. You could mitigate some these potential problems as follows:

1. Before arriving, make sure you obtain as many character references/recommendation letters as possible - from your employer, your landlord, your neighbours/friends etc (if you were renting, the letter should state you kept the property neat and tidy and that you paid your rent on time). Use copies of these letters in your rental application.

2. Attach a bank statement showing your bank balance/ some proof of your ability to meet your rent obligation.

3. If you have friends/relatives in Australia then obtain character references from them as well. This helps too.

Reactions: mshahzad

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I am in Japan from last many years and most of the rental agreements were organized with the company I worked for however, rents were deducted from my salary every month. so may not be possible to get any reference here.
- Bank statement shouldn't be an issue...if they ask for local account balance then it may be little difficult as I would have to open and transfer the funds.
- I have close relatives in Sydney and friends in Melbourne, so hopefully I would be able to get some references.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thanks, I am in Japan from last many years and most of the rental agreements were organized with the company I worked for however, rents were deducted from my salary every month. so may not be possible to get any reference here.
- Bank statement shouldn't be an issue...if they ask for local account balance then it may be little difficult as I would have to open and transfer the funds.
- I have close relatives in Sydney and friends in Melbourne, so hopefully I would be able to get some references.
Get a letter from your company then...

·
Registered
4,518 Posts
The main thing that is considered when assessing your rental application is your ability to pay the rent. Add the fact that you will not have a local reference when you first arrive, unemployment will certainly make your task a lot more difficult.

You will most likely have to pay for a few months upfront and then get busy finding a job. I would personally advise you to stick to temporary accommodation or shared accommodation until you have secured a job - the bills will quickly add up and drain your savings. Whilst you may break the lease if you find yourself unable to pay the rent, you are ultimately still responsible for the rent up to the day that a new tenant is found and takes up the lease. You definitely do not need any sort of money worries whilst job hunting, especially if it takes a bit longer to find a job than what you had originally anticipated.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Understood, thank you
I think it's just about the financial security and paying the rent for 6+ months upfront may mitigate that issue. Let's see, how well it goes!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Understood, thank you
I think it's just about the financial security and paying the rent for 6+ months upfront may mitigate that issue. Let's see, how well it goes!
Works only in some cases. Didn't in our case. Pretty much all agents wanted a rental reference when I first arrived. Once we got that reference it became easier for us to find a place. Also depends largely on competition - if there are many applicants for the same place then the agent will more often than not choose the most straight forward application. I heard it's easier renting in Melbourne than say in Sydney or Perth. Good luck and don't worry!

Reactions: mshahzad
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.