Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have absolutely no idea who are good house contents insurance companies in France. Can anyone suggest a few websites/links please so I can compare ?

I also need some kind of cover for accidental damage for the kids. Where do you go for that ?

Thanks for any help offered

Shelley

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,331 Posts
Hi

I have absolutely no idea who are good house contents insurance companies in France. Can anyone suggest a few websites/links please so I can compare ?

I also need some kind of cover for accidental damage for the kids. Where do you go for that ?

Thanks for any help offered

Shelley
Banks and La Poste offer quite a few kinds of insurance and I'm told it's modestly priced.

If you're looking for specialized insurance policies, it might be best to speak with a traditional insurance agency. We get our homeowners insurance from AXA and quite like our agent. We're about to add a policy for legal representation, in case we're sued, and perhaps auto insurance.

I'm curious what you're looking for when you say "accidental damage for the kids". Do you want to protect your kids / pay for hospital bills in case they're injured or pay for insurance against the possiblity that your kids will damage a rental property you might be in? Or something else entirely?

By the way, we're not affiliated with AXA, just grateful consumers who like our agent.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes Ray you were correct about kids damaging anything in the rental property as the landlord is leaving some items for us, and you know what kids are like and accidents happen!

Thanks for the AXA and La Poste tips. I shall check them out.

Banks and La Poste offer quite a few kinds of insurance and I'm told it's modestly priced.

If you're looking for specialized insurance policies, it might be best to speak with a traditional insurance agency. We get our homeowners insurance from AXA and quite like our agent. We're about to add a policy for legal representation, in case we're sued, and perhaps auto insurance.

I'm curious what you're looking for when you say "accidental damage for the kids". Do you want to protect your kids / pay for hospital bills in case they're injured or pay for insurance against the possiblity that your kids will damage a rental property you might be in? Or something else entirely?

By the way, we're not affiliated with AXA, just grateful consumers who like our agent.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Registered
Lived in US, France, Canada, & UK
1,331 Posts
Yes Ray you were correct about kids damaging anything in the rental property as the landlord is leaving some items for us, and you know what kids are like and accidents happen!

Thanks for the AXA and La Poste tips. I shall check them out.
I know that my insurance agent can find ways to quote me policies of all kinds, even out of the ordinary types of coverage, because I've made a couple of requests like that and he's been great about it.

However, I don't know if La Poste or the Banks offer customized insurance quotes... but only because I've not talked to them about anything other than absolutely standard home or auto insurance. It would be great to find out that they do offer out of the ordinary insurance.

BTW, an insurance policy covering you for damage your kids might do to a rental property is out of the ordinary in my world. But that may only be because my kids are all grown and I've not asked. Perhaps it's a standard coverage now.

Best of luck.

Ray

·
Banned
6,806 Posts
If your kids are in school, it's obligatory to take out insurance for them - MAE - or similar company. I know it covers damage the kid might cause outside the home - not sure about inside but might be worth checking.

Hils

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
That insurance "for the kids" is responsabilité civile and it covers any damage you or members of your household (kids, pets, visitors) may do to others, not to themselves or to anything you own. It's a major requirement here in France, but fortunately, not terribly expensive.

You'd probably do best to get all (or most of) your insurance coverage from the same place. They often will give you a break on the price if you have multiple policies. Check with your own bank first, La Poste and just about any insurance company to compare rates.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that. It's interesting that banks are being suggested. Are they not more expensive/less value than if I was to go to a dedicated insurance company?

·
Administrator
51,620 Posts
Thanks for that. It's interesting that banks are being suggested. Are they not more expensive/less value than if I was to go to a dedicated insurance company?
Like so many things, "it depends." It pays to ask at least at the bank - if only to have a quote to take to the insurance companies for comparison. The bank conseillers are under immense pressure to sell insurance and other bank products to bank customers. They can't change the premiums much, but if you let them know you're comparison shopping you might be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
11 Posts
On kid's coverage, it's true you need it. We just had to have it for "gym" for our daughter. The French Bank Societe General offers a family accident-causing coverage for about 20-30 euros per month, I forget the exact amount. We chose the gym's coverage, which they offered through their own insurance company, for about 20 euros in total for the year, I think. My wife is not here at the moment or I could tell you for sure. Thus it may be cheaper to take coverages offered by schools, athletic associations, etc. requesting them for kids, if available.

On another subject, I am looking for a liability policy to cover auto liability, even before you own a car. I rent from time to time and get collision coverage for the rental car through my credit card companies (Diner's Master (Citibank) based in U.S., and Sociéte General Gold Visa Premier (around 14 euro per month roughly) in France. This saves a bunch of money on rental cars if you rent a lot, but does not cover liability for damage to other's cars or personal injury from accident. If anyone knows of an efficient option for auto liability before you have a car, or after you have one (since I am also looking for a clunker), any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I will do that.

Like so many things, "it depends." It pays to ask at least at the bank - if only to have a quote to take to the insurance companies for comparison. The bank conseillers are under immense pressure to sell insurance and other bank products to bank customers. They can't change the premiums much, but if you let them know you're comparison shopping you might be pleasantly surprised.
Cheers,
Bev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.