Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

just to give you a bit of encouraging news in regards to house hunting in Sydney. I read lot of problems in this regards in this forum.
I moved to Australia end of June and went house hunting straight the first weekend. I inspected 7 properties and finally applied for one.

I was first a bit concerned not being successful as I only started with my new Employer July 1st and would not be able to provide pay slips etc. And that the only chance to get a place would be to offer a few weeks/months rent in advance.

However, I was lucky and got the apartment I wanted. And here is what I did/provided:

- standard proof of ID (passport, drivers license, temp. medicare letter copies)
- reference letter of my last landlord/agent
- reference letter of my previous landlord and ledger of the agent showing I always paid the rent on time
- copy of my employment contract
- copy of my visa
- references they could call

I think the key thing was to have a signed employment contract and good references...

I reckon you start getting your docs together even before you make the move or at least before you start the hunt. Once you have found a place you like you usually have a day or two to apply.
Aks your current landlord/owner to provide you a reference letter stating how long you lived there, that you always paid the rent on time etc.

Anyway, hope this encourages/helps a few people.

Good luck!

Reactions: c0da and jsbhatia

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info!

So did you translate your landord's reference from German into English?
I wrote it in English and sent it to my landlord to copy that onto his letterhead. Basically it was just that:

To whom it may concern

This letter is to verify that Mr. XXX and his family have been our tenants since XXX.

They are excellent tenants who always pay the rent on time and show significant respect to the property and other tenants.

We would have no hesitation to recommend him as a future tenant.

If we can assist you with any further information regarding his residency please feel free to contact us on +49-XXX.

Yours sincerely

Reactions: nobodie
1 - 3 of 3 Posts