Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We have a house in Lower Normandy but are going to have to return to the UK to earn some money to continue living in delightful France - can anyone tell us what sort of building insurance we are likely to pay if we're only going to be there for a few months each year at most (hopefully we'll can earn enough to return full time in a year or so. Also can anyone suggrst a good insurance company (preferably that speaks English! my French isn't really up to technical type chats!)
Many thanks in advance
Brendan

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
I don't think holiday home insurance actually works out much different to normal insurance, but you need to tell the insurers that it has become a holiday home so they can recalculate your premium and you may find there are more exclusions, such as if the pipes burst while the house is unoccupied it may not be covered.

I'm in Orne as well and I use my local MMA agency, I think there is someone there who speaks English. But Orne is a big place.

·
Registered
From the US...lived in Canada, UK, & France
1,307 Posts
...can anyone tell us what sort of building insurance we are likely to pay if we're only going to be there for a few months each year at most (hopefully we'll can earn enough to return full time in a year or so. Also can anyone suggrst a good insurance company (preferably that speaks English! my French isn't really up to technical type chats!) Brendan
I'd ask my neighbors who they recommend. They will know who's good, friendly, and well priced. If you don't know anyone, check AXA. We use them for home, auto, and attorney insurance and like them quite a bit. I expect that if you're in an area with English-speaking expats, one or more of the insurance companies will have someone who speaks some English. Or, talk to your bank. Most banks offer all types of insurance.

I would imagine that you'll be paying for the same risks whether you're there full-time or only part-time, though it's possible they'll charge you more for part-time residence. Small problems untended to (because you're away) can become large insurance headaches. You should definitely ask whether costs are greater.

I recommend you have someone check your house once a week while you're away. A leaky faucet, broken window, or electrical problem that's caught early will be much less difficult to deal with, especially if it happens in winter.

Best of luck.

Ray

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.