Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

We are a family of 4(2 Adults, 1 Child and 1 infant) and is looking out for accommodation options in Melbourne for total of 4 nights stay at end of Aug. Planning to check into a hotel for the same, and didnt want to try Air BnB as it might be noisy and worrisome for the hosts with 2 kids :) and we didnt want to go the hassle of cleaning up the property prior to leaving etc.

Any recommendations for a budget stay hotel around Melbourne with nearby places for sightseeing.

And is it a standard thing to expect hotels provide free breakfast?

Another was when trying to book a hotel,my child doenst sleep alone in an extra bed , can we check into a large double bedroom. In booking.com when i add a child it always results in getting me a double bed + 1 extra bed and extra cost as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you check Airbnb?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, but is there a dramatic price difference using a hotel vs using Air BnB for short stays. (4-days)?. The drawback i find is that most hotels even charge for WiFi and breakfast. These things are so basic, no wonder everything is expensive

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

We are a family of 4(2 Adults, 1 Child and 1 infant) and is looking out for accommodation options in Melbourne for total of 4 nights stay at end of Aug. Planning to check into a hotel for the same, and didnt want to try Air BnB as it might be noisy and worrisome for the hosts with 2 kids :) and we didnt want to go the hassle of cleaning up the property prior to leaving etc.

Any recommendations for a budget stay hotel around Melbourne with nearby places for sightseeing.

And is it a standard thing to expect hotels provide free breakfast?

Another was when trying to book a hotel,my child doenst sleep alone in an extra bed , can we check into a large double bedroom. In booking.com when i add a child it always results in getting me a double bed + 1 extra bed and extra cost as well.

Hey gjforaus, try searching for hotels around Docklands or Flinders street. These areas are right in the middle of CBD and every other major spot is around these places. I have been to Melbourne once and can recommend Travelodge Docklands, which is bang opposite Southern Cross Station. Plus point is that you can walk down to all the major spots, like Yarra river, Flinders Street, Tram Stops (including Free Tram zone), Southern Cross Station (its a big Railway junction and has some cafes/bars/fast food joints that remain open beyond normal working hours: be aware, rest of the places close down pretty early). Negative for this hotel is that they don't have full service restaurant. So might be an issue with family : I was travelling alone at that time so managed by eating outside.

To check out the places around, buy "myki" travel cards from PTV (Public Transport Victoria) counters at the station and you can then hop on to trams/trains.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts