Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
If you are a regular poster you are allowed to give recommendations, so how about recommending places you have stayed in Spain?
If you are just looking for a way of advertising your business your post will be removed though. Advertisers have to pay a premium - see side menu.

I'd like to tell you about El Foro rural apartments in Asturias. Great for kids and if you have a dog. Near a town (Navia), but in the middle of the country with the sea within view and the mountains also. Lovely apartments
https://www.apartamentoselforo.com/

/SNIP/

Mod note: This is fine but with the caveat that to be within the rules they must be personal recommendations of somewhere you have actually stayed & you must have no financial links to them, nor work in them. With that in mind recommendations from brand new members will be assumed to be sneaky adverts & removed.

·
Registered
U.K.
9,103 Posts
We recently stayed here

Hotel San Antonio El Real | Segovia | Web Oficial

Lovely little hotel. In walking distance of all the "sites". Rooms clean, tidy and well presented. Staff very friendly and for those lacking Spanish they also spoke English. We booked direct, rather than with one of the search sites. The hotel actually offers more for booking direct.

The restaurant was great, really enjoyed the food, but the atmosphere was a little dull. Breakfast included and offered a wide choice of hot and cold.

We paid €70 including parking and breakfast and on checking out have a voucher for 12% discount for our next stay.

·
Registered
231 Posts
We visited Ronda last weekend and stayed in this beautiful hotel within the old quarter of Ronda, only a few minutes walk from the hustle and bustle of the centre but with all the rooms, with private terraces facing the beautiful gardens and the countryside beyond, it was wonderfully quiet and surine. Plus it had an honesty bar!!!!!!

Home | Alavera de los Baños - Hotel Ronda

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
My last trip in Spain was to Cuenca, Hotel Cueva del Fraile:

https://www.booking.com/hotel/es/cueva-del-fraile.es.html

It doesn't seem to have its own web page.

About 5kms out of the town, great for enjoying real peace and quiet and less than 2 hrs from Mardid. Football pitch (concrete of course), tennis couts, volleyball, swimming pool etc makes it great for "active" families.

Also they have the rare (in Spain) treasure that is family rooms where 4 people sleep in real beds without having to pay for 2 rooms.

Its not perfect, but we had a great weekend.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
We recently stayed here

Hotel San Antonio El Real | Segovia | Web Oficial

Lovely little hotel. In walking distance of all the "sites". Rooms clean, tidy and well presented. Staff very friendly and for those lacking Spanish they also spoke English. We booked direct, rather than with one of the search sites. The hotel actually offers more for booking direct.

The restaurant was great, really enjoyed the food, but the atmosphere was a little dull. Breakfast included and offered a wide choice of hot and cold.

We paid €70 including parking and breakfast and on checking out have a voucher for 12% discount for our next stay.
Couldn't recommend a hotel but there are some great places to visit around there. The Palacio Real, built by Philip V. Just a few kilometros away. Small pueblos eg. Navas de Rio Frio. Lots of walks and saw a lot of Deer. Rural casas, Pesky would like it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palace_of_La_Granja_de_San_Ildefonso

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
When you're hot, stressed and tired, finding the perfect hotel with patient, understanding people to welcome you is heaven.
During that heatwave in the beginning of August, we stumbled into the Hostal Aznaitin in Baeza (Jaen province). The last vacant room was waiting for us (63€ with breakfast, 57€ without).

The bed frame angles hit our shins but the aircon and the wifi were powerful, the bed was huge with a perfect mattress, nice sober modern deco, the bathroom you just want to take home with you, a small open-sky patio with wicker chairs and fake lawn next room down the corridor, and a 6 by 4 meter pool on the roof with fitness gym machines all in very good condition.

The lobby is very small so can quickly get crowded. Breakfast offered everything needed to start the day. If we'd reserved via internet we'd have paid 39€ for the same room. Monuments to visit just 10 minutes walk likewise sunrise on the Sierra Nevada.

Hostal Aznaitín - C/ Cabreros, 2 - 23440 Baeza ( Jaén )
Hoteles en Baeza - Alojamientos en Baeza - Hostal de lujo en Baeza

·
Registered
19,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Couldn't recommend a hotel but there are some great places to visit around there. The Palacio Real, built by Philip V. Just a few kilometros away. Small pueblos eg. Navas de Rio Frio. Lots of walks and saw a lot of Deer. Rural casas, Pesky would like it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Palace_of_La_Granja_de_San_Ildefonso
Yes, Isobella you are right!
I have been to La Granja many, many times. I love it's quirkiness, I think it's the perfect word to describe it. We usually just go to La Granja, wander around the again quirky shops and gardens of the palace. We have also been 3 or 4 times when the fountains are working. Amazing!
To go for more of a walk we go to Boca del Asno and Los Asientos which you get to just before La Granja or Valsaín.
We stayed once in the Parador and it was lovely imo, and I don't usually like the staid furnishings and saminess of Paradors. It was a little different.
The Palace was disappointing and you have to be careful getting a restaurant especially at the weekend as even though there are many, they get really booked up. I have written about La Granja, Boca del Asno etc before so if anyone wants more info you can do a search and it will come up.
Hmm I can feel a visit coming on....

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Love the recommendations so far!!
You do, do you? Well, here's another one while it's still fresh on my mind.

Jardins del Segria in Lleida is about 4km north of the city centre in the middle of fruit tree plantations, small canals and agricultural land.
There are gardens, green lawns, shade trees and well kept shrubbery.
The gardener obviously loves what he does, waters everything copiously every morning and watches lovingly over his intermittent fountain and plaster statues of Bambi, Snow White and the seven dwarves...
The place must be full up during the summer holidays but off season just a stopover for Dutch, Swiss, Brits, French and tradesmen.
Staff all friendly and easy going, happy to chat.

We were given a room with no view on the gardens but there was no problem changing that. Spotlessly clean but styled in the 70's with mod cons of the 70's.

We battled to find the precise French word to describe it: vétuste & anachronistique lost out to "desuet". Interesting spring mattress with ripple effect.
Breakfast with cheese, serrano, tomato or all the usual stuff.
Bread and sweetbread home-made; "I make it myself, you know!" shouted the kitchen-lady from across the room just when my mouth is too full to politely answer...

We booked for two nights (around 35€/night) thinking to visit and walk around the city. We found nothing to visit. At reception they said "there's nothing to see here".
Lleida is a busy working city with wide avenues and brick buildings.
There's a historic cathedral atop the hill but they were drilling up the roads all around.
The arboretum in fact is an annexe of the agricultural campus very close to the penitenciary watchtowers.
The "parc municipal" has a bridge over the rio Segre where tiny catfish black like tadpoles wind and unwind into pictograms.

No way to enjoy a siesta at the hotel, the cleaning staff aren't used to people staying in their rooms during daytime hours.

Food? Picnic from the LIDL just down the road. The 24/7 transport café on the rotunda to Torrefarrera.

People love this hotel! Check out the reviews! For an overnight stop it's fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts