Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend, William Morrison, is 52 and would like to live and work in Australia for at the most 2 years. Everytime I have tried to help him I have hit a brick wall. He doesn't want to emigrate but he is too old for the progam enabling him to work. He can't get a job because however many times I have emailed his CV - no one gets back to me. One emigration site offered a contact for money. He would really like the opportunity to work in Australia, what can I do to help him? He is a painter and decorator with over 25 years experience. He would like to work on a new build site. Can you help or can you advise him as to how he can get into Australia to work. There is little or no work here in Scotland. He is very keen to come to Australia and I would like to help him if I could.

Thank you for your time and I hope you can point me in the right direction.

regards
Donna Concannon

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Donna,

As you said he's too old for the working holiday visa, and I think he may be too old for the temp visas too since I think they cut out at 45 (but I may be wrong since I'm not an agent).

To work in Australia he'll need a visa and most employers are not looking to sponsor someone unless their skill set is in demand - is William's skill set in demand.

Have you checked the visa wizard link in the 'PLEASE READ....' sticky post? That goes through the most common visas.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thats a tricky one, can anyone sponsor him, friend etc? Also I heard that anyone who has enough money can just go over. No idea if that's true or not.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Donna,

Welcome to the forum.

Mmmmm. TBH I don't think William has much of a chance really. His only option would be for a company to sponsor him, and no company is going to do that just for 2 years. Although his age wouldn't matter, he would still need to get 100 points to qualify for sponsorship.

To my surprise painter and decorator is on the SOL (Skilled Occupation List). I would definitely ask an agent for their advice on this one. If you do, always make sure they are MIA/MARA registered. We do have agents who post on the forum, Veronika - username SOMV) posts fairly regularly and you can contact her via her signature.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Dolly

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have been on the immigration website and again I hit a brick wall. I have relatives in Australia and they also tried to get information - I think he might just have to go down the route of an agent. I have been in touch with one agency and they wanted £160 for 3 contacts. I thought that if I could do it myself it would save money....

thanks

Donna

1 - 5 of 5 Posts