Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My name is Ryan. I seem to have stumbled upon a unique situation here at work. Our company recently opened an office in Shenzhen, and there may be an opportunity for me to go (right now HR is aware, but nothing formal has been presented).

I'm 28 and single, so this could be an opportunity of a lifetime for me to grow professionally (global sourcing). The only thing is that I am now surfing the Internet looking at "expat packages" with no real luck, other than what I should try to negotiate.

I have looked at the CoL and it's about a -8% swing for the move. I guess I am just looking for some advise, and maybe what others have been offered that are in a similar position.

Will give more details if needed, just let me know.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
50,411 Posts
Expat packages aren't regulated - and so they vary greatly from one company to the next.

You want to be clear on whether you're being sent on a "temporary" assignment (with some assurance of having a job with the same company on your return) or being transferred and placed on the local payroll. Obviously, relocation costs should be offered, and give some thought to a repatriation allowance, should the job not work out for some reason in the first year or 18 months or so.

Tax equalization is a big feature - or at least tax preparation services or assistance for your first two or three years abroad. (As an American you'll have to continue filing US tax returns as well as local ones.) Tax equalization assures that you will be reimbursed for the extra taxes you'll wind up paying due to the expat benefits (which are all taxable) and end up equal in take home pay to what you would have gotten had you stayed home.

Other expat package benefits can include a housing allowance, home leave (usually once a year) and lessons in the local language. But it very much depends on your level in the company, company policy and financial situation, etc.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bev,

Thank you soooo much for the advise. Like I mentioned, I think that I am in a very unique situation here with my company.

I am sure that this would probably only be for 6-12 months, as my boss told me that it would be much less complicated that way.

She mentioned that there would be a "standard expat package", which I have
learned real fast does not exist :)

I'm sure that it's to early to tell with no offer on the table, I just like to overthink things.

This will be new for my company, and I am the only one in this position (being asked to relocate). So I know that they see the value of having me there instead of hiring locally. I just want to make sure that I am properly compensated, and have a job when I get back!

Probably too many variable still not defined at this time, but just wanted to see what I should expect. For example, current salary+10%+housing+round trip there and back, and maybe something else haha.

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts