Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been homeless for a year this July I'm down to my last 5 euro's and I have an Expired passport. Finding work isn't easy here so I'd like some advise on how to get back to the UK, I'm trying desperately to save money to buy a temporary passport costing £95 or the equivalent in euro's around 160 euro's. I fear my time is running out which is a shame as I've an interesting story to tell as to how I came to Portugal. Any Help or Advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, have you been to the British embassy ? Also some british church organisation( and there quit a few in Portugal-Algarve) will give a start up, back to England and get you back to basic on you feed over a social system at least to sort your life and mind out..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Try helpex website.( I can't post link at the moment)] They have voluntary work that provides bed and board.Some are better than others.Avoid ones that want you to work hours on end.

A few might offer pocket money if you are willing to give extra help.You can register for free, however you will not see the contact details of the providers, without a paid subscription, but you will be able to see where they are and what they want you to do.

If you see anything, let me know and I will get the contact details for you. There are some positions in Alentajo. If you volunteer for hospitality, you might get tips and you might find out about paid work. The 123 classified paper has work advertised, but it is mainly in the Algarve.

Voluntary work might get you on your feet. If you pick a commercial position, you may be able to negotiate money for your passport, especially if you have any useful skils.

Good luck. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, have you been to the British embassy ? Also some british church organisation( and there quit a few in Portugal-Algarve) will give a start up, back to England and get you back to basic on you feed over a social system at least to sort your life and mind out..
I did go to Embassy in Lisbon with Passport & Photo's, I was told not possible to renew in this country. I would have to purchase Temp pass costing 160 euro's valid for 24 hours only + book a flight & get to airport on the same day. I just didn't expect this nor could I afford it. Your Advice about British Churches is Great I shall begin to look into this straight away. Thankyou

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try helpex website.( I can't post link at the moment)] They have voluntary work that provides bed and board.Some are better than others.Avoid ones that want you to work hours on end.

A few might offer pocket money if you are willing to give extra help.You can register for free, however you will not see the contact details of the providers, without a paid subscription, but you will be able to see where they are and what they want you to do.

If you see anything, let me know and I will get the contact details for you. There are some positions in Alentajo. If you volunteer for hospitality, you might get tips and you might find out about paid work. The 123 classified paper has work advertised, but it is mainly in the Algarve.

Voluntary work might get you on your feet. If you pick a commercial position, you may be able to negotiate money for your passport, especially if you have any useful skils.

Good luck. :)
Hi I have looked into HelpX & Wwoof, they Require for me to be Insured possibly for accidents. I shall look into it more closely maybe not all farm stays ect require this. If I do have any luck I'll let you know. Thankyou for your kindness

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi All015 could you possibly tell me of a known area in the Algarve where I can get help from the church and if possible specify the type of help i can get in detail, I'd appreciate it as any day soon I hope to be heading towards ervidel and Aljustrel via the N2 road. thankyou for your time

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi All015 could you possibly tell me of a known area in the Algarve where I can get help from the church and if possible specify the type of help i can get in detail, I'd appreciate it as any day soon I hope to be heading towards ervidel and Aljustrel via the N2 road. thank you for your time
Hi, I am not regular in this forum, even thins my interested , what I posted( when i join here the Forum ) was deleted "as not allow to post it" :the Adm. said its business post, but it wasn't for me not at all, I just looked for house sitting possibility during my holidays , even didn't know that this is a paid Job ... never mind:rolleyes:

To you question: witch are by now probably to late ? And if not , you made it a other month . :)

I have not been in social working position in the Algarve, in the past when I lived and work there for 20 years.But I have meed all kind of people over the years during my work as house-property manager .People with big wallets, season workers,craftsmen, lost people as well ..I used to read the 1,2,3 news paper and the resident Algarve news ( hope this does not count as advertising if I write this here ? ) how ever, what I want to say is , that 3 years ago, before I went out of the Algarve, there have been quit a few adverts of this churches in the news papers, even for meetings , tel. contacts. As I understand from your answer, is that the Embassy offer you for 160 Euros a passport for one day incl. a flight back home ?
My be the church/ social contact people can help you by paying this ? If you really want to change your situation and go back as a British person to your home country and focus on it, I believe you will get help .I have seen people in the past who wanted this, but have had on top of it a drinking problem. This makes it harder to focus this aim , but also there for you found in this news papers advertising for english speaking meeting s in the Algarve, for people witch have a drinking problem .. What I like to say is , there is always light in the end of the tunnel if YOU focus on it , wish you good luck and a healthy solution to the next winter time being in a warm place :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi viporzeyez,

just found this here from you as well :" My walk of a life time (Multi-page thread 1 2)
viporzeyez ", well that gave me more understanding of your life you are in at the moment . As I understand now is you do NOT want to go back to England and you actually choose this life at the road as a traveler with out home ?
How ever good luck with this

1 - 9 of 9 Posts