Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello families
I am a teacher having lived in Barcelona for over a year now.
I have found that families , and not only international ones, have had problems either integrating their children into the local system or in my case, not wanting their three and four year old children going to school until 4.30!
I do understand moving to another country means to accept customs of the city you are moving to.
I am however, thinking of setting up a home schooling group in Barcelona for 3 to 6 year olds and wondered if anyone has any experience of doing of this or would be interested in joining the group once it is set up!
Looking forward to hearing all suggestions
Kelly

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
Hello families
I have found that families , and not only international ones, have had problems either integrating their children into the local system or in my case, not wanting their three and four year old children going to school until 4.30!
I do understand moving to another country means to accept customs of the city you are moving to.
I am however, thinking of setting up a home schooling group in Barcelona for 3 to 6 year olds and wondered if anyone has any experience of doing of this or would be interested in joining the group once it is set up!
Kelly
Be careful calling it a school - home schooling is not legal in Spain

At the ages you are talking about, it's really a crèche or playgroup.

I personally you will have tremendous difficulty getting the necessary licences and insurances for such a venture.

However, I do wish you well.

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
It's ok to call it an "Escuela Infantil" (infant school) and in fact that is the correct name for it if it takes children until the age of 6 (in castellano at least). However I'd be surprised if most of the existing Escuelas Infantiles in Barcelona didn't offer half day lessons anyway. And there shouldn't be that much of a problem getting your child into a private one either.

·
Registered
19,381 Posts
Hello families
Kelly
If you look at the FAQ thread at the top of the Spain page you'll find a whole section on education in Spain in post number 3, and at the end there's something referring to homeschooling and its situation legally. You'll find opinions which cover the whole spectrum - it's illegal, it's legal, you can get round it, it depends on the region, the judge... Whatever, it's a risk because it's just not clear.
Also if you do a search on this forum for home education/ educating/ homeschooling etc you'll find some threads, some of which unfortunately dissolve into judgements about the why's and wherefore's of home education, but which contain some useful info nontheless.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts