Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Home Office resources are under threat and pressure is on dealing with Illegals currently in UK. The prospects of extended delays to process Visa Applications becomes highly likely. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
Not directly related as enforcement and visa processing are done by separate branches of Home Office - Border Force and UKVI. What is far more relevant is continuing rise in EU and non-EU immigration.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any idea what the Tories plan to do to reduce non-eu migration? The tories said they were keeping the same cap on skilled/working migration, so unfortunately I can only imagine more difficulties for those applying to be/remain with family?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Immigration caps, mainly, but also reducing or eliminating benefits for migrants, making the UK a lot less attractive to emigrate to for those looking to take advantage of social benefits.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think I would expect a raise in the financial requirement. The introduction of a financial requirement in 2012 for family visas caused an enormous amount of anti-British sentiment, especially among UK citizens with foreign spouses. There are families with kids currently being kept apart - Very bad media for the sake of curbing Non-EU immigration. So the Tories are probably going to focus more on restrictions for work visa holders and preventing immigration fraud. Not sure about the reintroduction of a points-based system; it's a possibility but unlikely any time soon. This is just my opinion, though.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is quite possible 'Priority Fees' will increase and standard applications slip lower down the processing ladder, thereby encouraging more to pay for Priority. Could even be a tiered Priority system?

·
Registered
39,068 Posts
But since the challenge to the financial requirement was dismissed in the Court of Appeal, the government may start to raise the minimum income requirement in line with inflation, which since 2012 has been around 4% over the last 3 years. So £18,600 can become £19,300. Since other amounts are routinely raised, such as graduate-level pay in points-based system, there doesn't seem justification in keeping it pegged back at 2012 level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.