Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Guardian just posted an interesting analysis of how much profit they make from visa applications. The 800% they use in their headline is based on ILR - currently ILR costs the applicant £2,297 and costs the Home Office £252 to process.

The Guardian don't go into detail about what is taken into account when calculating the profits vs processing costs.

The example they use in the article isn't the greatest as it's a couple applying for FLR(M) while on a tourist visa, so of course they were rejected. They should have joined this forum and saved themselves to pain! However, the point is made that it's not made obvious one cannot switch in country whilst on a tourist visa.

·
Registered
228 Posts
The Guardian just posted an interesting analysis of how much profit they make from visa applications. The 800% they use in their headline is based on ILR - currently ILR costs the applicant £2,297 and costs the Home Office £252 to process.

The Guardian don't go into detail about what is taken into account when calculating the profits vs processing costs.

The example they use in the article isn't the greatest as it's a couple applying for FLR(M) while on a tourist visa, so of course they were rejected. They should have joined this forum and saved themselves to pain! However, the point is made that it's not made obvious one cannot switch in country whilst on a tourist visa.
You're quite right that the cost is very high and a lot of legislation is really quite unfair.

Regarding switching from a tourist visa though, the government web site clearly says that applications must be made from outside of the UK. personally I think that's clear.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regarding switching from a tourist visa though, the government web site clearly says that applications must be made from outside of the UK. personally I think that's clear.
Yea, that's fair enough - I found it by doing minimal research when looking into switching my wife from Tier 4 from FLR(M). That's why I think the Guardian using it as an example wasn't the best. They should have gone with one of the many situations on this forum, like over looking document or misreading financial category - really minor errors that cost the applicant a lot of money and pain.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yea, that's fair enough - I found it by doing minimal research when looking into switching my wife from Tier 4 from FLR(M). That's why I think the Guardian using it as an example wasn't the best. They should have gone with one of the many situations on this forum, like over looking document or misreading financial category - really minor errors that cost the applicant a lot of money and pain.
certainly there would be many better examples. It is incredibly naive to think that you can go through a serious immigration application without a reasonable amount of research. I wonder, if they hadn't failed at the first hurdle, how many other documents were also missing from their application.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Either way **** like this isnt going to start causing a fuss until the general public care..

Most dont and never will so the HO are free to swindle those caught up in the rules.. maybe when.. because they will try to, impose the same rules on EU citizens people will give a ****.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
certainly there would be many better examples. It is incredibly naive to think that you can go through a serious immigration application without a reasonable amount of research. I wonder, if they hadn't failed at the first hurdle, how many other documents were also missing from their application.
It's not entirely clear where they got married either - something else you can't do while on a tourist visa.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Either way **** like this isnt going to start causing a fuss until the general public care..

Most dont and never will so the HO are free to swindle those caught up in the rules.. maybe when.. because they will try to, impose the same rules on EU citizens people will give a ****.
Well, that's part the reason the Guardian have been giving so much coverage on the Home Office's failing. Each week there's a story about a family torn apart because of the HO messing up, or EU citizens being told they are going to be deported etc. Recently, a British Citizen was told he would be deported because they thought he wasn't a citizen.

One of the only good things about Brexit is that it's shining a very bright light on the Home Office.

·
Registered
228 Posts

We're definitely an easy target and the current narrative surrounding immigration makes matters even worse.

Also, people don't really hear what's being said in these articles. I've seen loads of them and the Supreme court ruling was all over the news. However, when I tell friends they always assume either that my wife will just be let in or that she is already a citizen by virtue of marriage.

The average member of public thinks that waves of people are just wandering into the country and getting free stuff. As long as the Daily Express corners the market in CAPITAL LETTERS and hateful propaganda, that's how it'll be. :(

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
However, when I tell friends they always assume either that my wife will just be let in or that she is already a citizen by virtue of marriage. (
This. My parents assumed this - my Mum was granted ILR the day she married my Dad in the 80s and thought it was still the same. Not even close!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.