Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am working in Dubai and have a British passport

Has anyone ever flown to USA from Dubai for a holiday? If so, do you need a temporary visa to enter the USA?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, it's just a holiday, but I'm not sure of what USA wants when I arrive. Last time, I flew from UK to USA and the visa form was quite straight forward but I did have to do the eye scan thing

Thanks

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Hi
I am working in Dubai and have a British passport

Has anyone ever flown to USA from Dubai for a holiday? If so, do you need a temporary visa to enter the USA?

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, it's just a holiday, but I'm not sure of what USA wants when I arrive. Last time, I flew from UK to USA and the visa form was quite straight forward but I did have to do the eye scan thing

Thanks
Won't matter your departure point, just your passport as far as I know.

Declare the $50,000 your are taking for the tables...........

·
Registered
1 Posts
Esta Visa

UK like most of Europe belongs to the Visa Waiver Countries and you need to apply for temp Visa for the US.
You need to apply at the ESTA website.
You need to do this 48 hours in advance and pay a fee.
It's valid for a year I think.
Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
UK like most of Europe belongs to the Visa Waiver Countries and you need to apply for temp Visa for the US.
You need to apply at the ESTA website.
You need to do this 48 hours in advance and pay a fee.
It's valid for a year I think.
Good luck!!!!
but get a new (clean) passport before you travel if you have loads of ME stamps/ visas in your current one, especially Saudi or Yemeni ones.

They will hold you for ages if you do whilst they run "checks"

did it a couple of times but I soon got my employer to write a letter saying I needed a 2nd UK passport (for the US reason and also as 1 passport would spend most of its home at the KSA embassy)

I now keep a "clean" passport which just has stamps from "US friendly" places like Oz.

Anywhere remotely MEern or 3rd world I get them to stamp the passport that contains my UAE visa

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
but get a new (clean) passport before you travel if you have loads of ME stamps/ visas in your current one, especially Saudi or Yemeni ones.

They will hold you for ages if you do whilst they run "checks"

did it a couple of times but I soon got my employer to write a letter saying I needed a 2nd UK passport (for the US reason and also as 1 passport would spend most of its home at the KSA embassy)

I now keep a "clean" passport which just has stamps from "US friendly" places like Oz.

Anywhere remotely MEern or 3rd world I get them to stamp the passport that contains my UAE visa
Fair point I guess, but I would mention that the above has not been my experience. I grew up in Dubai, and then went to college in the U.S. Ended up spending 9 years there, all the while making trips (at least 1 a year) to Dubai from there.

Apart from my first year it was all post 9/11, and other than the "random" security check, didn't have any issues. Certainly never got held for hours while things were being sorted, did have to go to another immigration desk at Hartsfield airport right after 9/11 but that was it.

It is entirely possible I was lucky though ....

p.s: at the time of going there, my passport did have stamps/visas from 3-4 middle eastern countries apart from here, where we had vacationed ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts