Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been away for sometime now since some personal stuff kept me occupied. As mentioned earlier on the forum about my travel, I reached Hobart on 16th Nov and trying to settle down.

The travel was a long 21 hour journey and with my 3 year old was tiring. Not to forget the monster luggage I was carrying.unfortunately, had to gather all the checked in baggage (80 kg) at melbourne and after a check, reckeckin to the domestic flight to Hobart. Thankfully Singapore airlines staff were helpful.

In the week here in Hobart, I see that it is a natural paradise n makes me wonder if all this is real or straight out of a poster card :)
I visited the indian store here n bought some stuff for daily use.
A long way to go before settling down and trying out for a job.will have to work things out for my daughter as well.I will keep posting the developments here. Please let me know if anyone on the forum is in Hobart.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hey guys,

I have been away for sometime now since some personal stuff kept me occupied. As mentioned earlier on the forum about my travel, I reached Hobart on 16th Nov and trying to settle down.

The travel was a long 21 hour journey and with my 3 year old was tiring. Not to forget the monster luggage I was carrying.unfortunately, had to gather all the checked in baggage (80 kg) at melbourne and after a check, reckeckin to the domestic flight to Hobart. Thankfully Singapore airlines staff were helpful.

In the week here in Hobart, I see that it is a natural paradise n makes me wonder if all this is real or straight out of a poster card :)
I visited the indian store here n bought some stuff for daily use.
A long way to go before settling down and trying out for a job.will have to work things out for my daughter as well.I will keep posting the developments here. Please let me know if anyone on the forum is in Hobart.
Hi applyoz,
I am moving to Hobart on 24 may 14.

Can you help/guide me for accommodation in hobart.?

Initially I am looking for shared accommodation.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good luck with your move.

I have PM'd you my email ID. Let me know. Are you moving as a student or searching for jobs? Let me know, will try to help you as much as possible from my end.

Cheers.

Hi applyoz,
I am moving to Hobart on 24 may 14.

Can you help/guide me for accommodation in hobart.?

Initially I am looking for shared accommodation.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not many move to Hobart. Can you please let us know your experience till date? Should help us get a perspective of other places too :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not many move to Hobart. Can you please let us know your experience till date? Should help us get a perspective of other places too :)
I presume you are asking me.

Hobart is one of the nicest place I have ever seen or ever been to. It reminds me of old Bangalore. Lovely place to raise a family. the population is less here. About 250,000 people in Hobart though it is a capital city. People who i meet or talk to complain about few things being more expensive than the mainland(cars, vegetables, etc). The city boasts of lovely beaches. I hardly have to walk 500 meters before I hit the beach. Depending on where you stay in the city, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to go one of the beaches. As with any other city, they have good suburbs and even if you stay 35 kms away from the city, you can reach CBD within 20-30 minutes during peak time! Mount Wellington is 20 minute drive from the city. You can travel to the rest of Tassie from Hobart and Tassie has got amazing towns and bush walking trails. It is straight out of a photo album. As natural as it could be. Unspoiled, virgin(?) place. Kudos to these guys for maintaining it that way.

On the professional front, the present job market scenario is not rosy. Few jobs and many people to fight it out. I talk from an IT job perspective. I assume it is the same with other fields as well. My wife hasn't had any luck with her job until now. She is a BA. The job consultants and other industry people she has spoken to have told her about too many people fighting out for a single job. Over supply. She is here since Nov last and started applying for jobs from Feb but no luck until now. she is frustrated to say the least. I keep her pushing and motivating her.

If you have a job in Hobart, nothing like it. :)

That's purely my perspective. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts

Hobart is one of the nicest place I have ever seen or ever been to. It reminds me of old Bangalore. Lovely place to raise a family. the population is less here. About 250,000 people in Hobart though it is a capital city. People who i meet or talk to complain about few things being more expensive than the mainland(cars, vegetables, etc). The city boasts of lovely beaches. I hardly have to walk 500 meters before I hit the beach. Depending on where you stay in the city, it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes to go one of the beaches. As with any other city, they have good suburbs and even if you stay 35 kms away from the city, you can reach CBD within 20-30 minutes during peak time! Mount Wellington is 20 minute drive from the city. You can travel to the rest of Tassie from Hobart and Tassie has got amazing towns and bush walking trails. It is straight out of a photo album. As natural as it could be. Unspoiled, virgin(?) place. Kudos to these guys for maintaining it that way.

On the professional front, the present job market scenario is not rosy. Few jobs and many people to fight it out. I talk from an IT job perspective. I assume it is the same with other fields as well. My wife hasn't had any luck with her job until now. She is a BA. The job consultants and other industry people she has spoken to have told her about too many people fighting out for a single job. Over supply. She is here since Nov last and started applying for jobs from Feb but no luck until now. she is frustrated to say the least. I keep her pushing and motivating her.

Yes you are right there are no job in Hobart

My friend from maldives went to Hobart because he thought it will be same island life like Maldives hehehehe.

He took 6 month to find job he worked in Timber industry he was payed v well with union benefits but environment extremist shutdown the timber industry

He was unemployed then he got job in his field as IT but junior position, he told me the shutdown of timber industry created major economic problem in Tasmania that's why no jobs now

He is thinking of moving to Sydney where all IT jobs are soon I think he had enough of island life hehehe

·
Registered
190 Posts

looks great to me.

how about your job? when you got yours. if possible tell us in which technology you are working.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Occupation is Mechanical Engineer and assessed my qualification and skills as Engineering Technologist by Engineers Australia.

I have received 489 Visa.

Regards,
Nirav
Though was asking @applyoz but thanks Nirav for responding...

Though had one more question, how long did applyoz take for finding a job and how do you like it.

·
Registered
750 Posts

Hobart is like old Bangalore??? I'll definitely visit at least just for the feel :) I guess less tech jobs means, the less crowded the city is. Hope your wife gets her desired job soon. All the best to you folks! :)

Reactions: applyoz

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
looks great to me.

how about your job? when you got yours. if possible tell us in which technology you are working.
I am working as a Service Delivery Manager - IT. I started applying for my job after i resigned from my parent company in India. Fortunately, one month into my notice period, a vacancy arose in my company's Hobart office, I applied, shortlisted for interview, had two rounds of interview, After a long delay got my offer letter. (check the thread!)

http://www.expatforum.com/expats/pl...se-major-fight-first-step-92.html#post1849673

I moved in October and my family moved in November. My wife is at pains trying to get a BA job :(

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hobart is like old Bangalore??? I'll definitely visit at least just for the feel :) I guess less tech jobs means, the less crowded the city is. Hope your wife gets her desired job soon. All the best to you folks! :)
Thanks SunnyBoi. It is worth visiting more than once. do buzz me if you are coming here. :)

All the best to you too.

Regards,

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Though was asking @applyoz but thanks Nirav for responding...

Though had one more question, how long did applyoz take for finding a job and how do you like it.
As I mentioned earlier by God's grace, had the offer. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,

Its great to hear your success story. I am looking to move to Sydney in September and I am looking for jobs in similar profile as yours. I am into ITSM consulting.

Could you please throw some light on the current situation? Have I made the right decision of moving there in September and also will you be able to assist me with any references where I can send my resume?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Dear All,

I am also new in Hobart and struggling hard to find a job,can anyone help on this Forum to find IT support Analyst job in Tasmania?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

How are you? Did you find a job?

I am also planning to apply for Tasmania state sponsorship. Is it easy to get a state sponsorship?

Please let me know your progress.

Regards

Sheeba

QUOTE=farina;12131297]Dear All,

I am also new in Hobart and struggling hard to find a job,can anyone help on this Forum to find IT support Analyst job in Tasmania?[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi

Its been a long time since you settled in Hobart. Could you please update if your wife is now employed? Are you still there?

I am planning to apply for SS after a week.

Regards

Sheeba

My wife is the primary applicant
She was assessed for Software Engineer (261313). We got the 189 visa.[/QUOTE]

1 - 20 of 27 Posts