Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was wondering if anyone on here could help me wrap my head around some stuff

I'm in the British Army, and my fiancé is here from America on a Student Visa.
She's just turned 20 and I'm 21.
We've read that we don't have to wait until she's 21 as I'm in the forces, but even so I don't really understand what I have to do to get permission to get married and then getting married and stuff? We went to our local registry office and they said we have to go to a designated one in Coventry or B'ham, and that we will have to pay alot of moneys for some bits of paper that is valid for 1 year. What sort of paper work will we need to get this certificate?
And what will we have to do after that stage?

Any help will be much appreciated, thank you kindly!

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi I was wondering if anyone on here could help me wrap my head around some stuff

I'm in the British Army, and my fiancé is here from America on a Student Visa.
She's just turned 20 and I'm 21.
We've read that we don't have to wait until she's 21 as I'm in the forces, but even so I don't really understand what I have to do to get permission to get married and then getting married and stuff? We went to our local registry office and they said we have to go to a designated one in Coventry or B'ham, and that we will have to pay alot of moneys for some bits of paper that is valid for 1 year. What sort of paper work will we need to get this certificate?
And what will we have to do after that stage?
First, I think you should speak to your commanding officer about marrying a foreigner. I don't think there is a problem and you no longer need permission to marry, but there may be one or two details that may need addressing, such as housing.

If the intention is for your fiancée to stay on in UK after marriage, all she needs to do is to marry and then apply for further leave to remain as your wife. She is allowed to get married without further formalities as she has a long-stay visa longer than 6 months. Yes, as she is a foreign national subject to immigration control, you have to give notice at a designated register office.

I don't know what they mean by an expensive bit of paper, but as I've said, following marriage she will have to apply for FLR valid 2 years, which costs £550 or £850 by same-day premium service (recommended).

Remember, as a serving soldier you may be posted abroad. Most tours of duty are unaccompanied, but if you are to be posted for several years, she is expected to accompany you and will need a separate visa as a US national.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.