Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rose is a rose is a rose
Too often a thread on this board is a rose, a recipe for tacos, a volkswagen, a weapon of mass destruction or a diatribe.

There are only about 2 or 3 monitors on this board that I have noticed, but apparently they are vacationing. I wish they would return and cut short the threads that go off on a tangent and endlessly repeat themselves in a lovefest of a few individuals.

What good is it to find a thread about, let's say living in guadalajara, and wind up in a discussion of cat food or some other non relevant crap?

·
Administrator
36,464 Posts
A rose is a rose is a rose
Too often a thread on this board is a rose, a recipe for tacos, a volkswagen, a weapon of mass destruction or a diatribe.

There are only about 2 or 3 monitors on this board that I have noticed, but apparently they are vacationing. I wish they would return and cut short the threads that go off on a tangent and endlessly repeat themselves in a lovefest of a few individuals.

What good is it to find a thread about, let's say living in guadalajara, and wind up in a discussion of cat food or some other non relevant crap?
it's called thread drift............. & when you're dealing with people it's bound to happen - just like conversations evolve & change over time

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what is your problem with redirecting them to a thread that more or less describes their proclivity, such as CFE rates, or whatever? In the past, the moderator was nasty enough to cut off a thread. There has to be a balance somewhere otherwise this is a freeforall and destroys the funcionality of a message board with topics.

·
Registered
179 Posts
So what is your problem with redirecting them to a thread that more or less describes their proclivity, such as CFE rates, or whatever? In the past, the moderator was nasty enough to cut off a thread. There has to be a balance somewhere otherwise this is a freeforall and destroys the funcionality of a message board with topics.
+ it makes it a lot harder when using the search function and then scanning the results based on the thread title when the threads take a tangent. If I search for CFE rates and see something like "Guadalajara Living", I won't click it even though good, relevant info might be inside.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Several reasons. This is an informal chat forum, not just a question and answer board. The idea is to cultivate informal discussions to enable folk to learn about life in a different country, understand the small idiosyncracies and understand others who are on here - making friends etc.

I agree that posts can drift, but to those who are drifting, they're learning other things, as are others who read them. But it is sensible to not go too far off track.

As for us mods - well there are only so many hours in the day and we dont always have the time to read, move and censor posts - maybe when you see it happen just post the little :focus: emocon on the thread??????

Jo xxxx

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several reasons. This is an informal chat forum, not just a question and answer board. The idea is to cultivate informal discussions to enable folk to learn about life in a different country, understand the small idiosyncracies and understand others who are on here - making friends etc.

I agree that posts can drift, but to those who are drifting, they're learning other things, as are others who read them. But it is sensible to not go too far off track.

As for us mods - well there are only so many hours in the day and we dont always have the time to read, move and censor posts - maybe when you see it happen just post the little :focus: emocon on the thread??????

Jo xxxx
Hey, I like that icon :focus: emocon, nevertheless that does not absolve your assumed responsability, which previously was exercised to the extreme (I know, I was shut up once or twice). So why go wishy washy now?

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
No one is "wishy washy", this is an informal chat/info forum, its not a question and answer forum. As for moderators assumed responsibility, we are not paid, we are not on the forum at set times with set hours. We dont change or remove posts that are not breaking rules as that would be censorship, which isnt what the forum is about. Moderators are here to make sure that the forum rules are adhered to - including the rule which states that moderators decisions are not questioned on the open forum. So if you have any further issues, then it please could you do it via PM

Jo

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DARN! I wish you had at least quoted me in your response so that I could remember what you considered insulting. Now I can´t even say I'm sorry.
Of course this is a potential hijack directing the thread to something that has absolutely nothing to do with its title.

·
Administrator
36,464 Posts
DARN! I wish you had at least quoted me in your response so that I could remember what you considered insulting. Now I can´t even say I'm sorry.
Of course this is a potential hijack directing the thread to something that has absolutely nothing to do with its title.
I think hijacking a thread called hijack is completely apt & on topic :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
How about we impose a usage fee so we can pay the moderators a weekly sum to sit and read each and every thread looking for off topic discussions?

So I vote to put dongringo in charge of writing the guidelines explaining in detail how differentiate being on or off topic. We will need example of all kinds showing the warning signs of being off topic and then write the punishment for each infraction. Then when we get a new person on the board they can read these guidelines and sign the understanding and consent for imposing or levying the fines for each infraction. Then we also will need to come up with dues to pay each moderator and then the one time entree fee to use this board.

No wait, to heck with all of that it's easier to just go to another board instead of dealing with such nonsense.

Life is people and people are as different as the number of individuals. Some people are anal retentive and some are not.
Mexico is one of the most laid back places on Earth and the people on this board "Mostly" are that way also. JMHO

I'm sorry but lets not suck the fun out of this board over a little conversation between two or more people.
I have always found it easier to just click on another thread when the topic no longer is interesting or useful to me. But what's not useful to me "is useful" to others.
So what do we say $10.00 monthly dues and a $50.00 one time fee to pay the Mods?

I better get :focus:

·
Registered
435 Posts

Jo xxxx
The OP has been banned from nearly every forum on the planet. Something to understand and accept.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Note to self:

Being awake in the middle of the night is not a good reason to start a cranky thread.

Nor to jump in and agree with the OP.

Having been a mod on another forum, I understand how thankless a job it can be. My personal favorite are the people who assume that you get paid for it.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I wondered how that thread about little green boxes went on so long and finally checked it out. It was about everything and anything :focus:
As a contributor to Little Green Boxes - you are right - it ran off the road. And maybe there is a mid-ground between dongringo's total mod and forum anarchy
At times, the repeat posteres here have re-directed the threads when they have gone too far astray. That :focus: thing pops up from not only Mods, but from us.

Yes, I am sort of a structuralist - dongrino in a more tolerant form - but, you know, when threads do get hijacked, they sometimes provide info we wouldn't get elsewhere. "Little Green Boxes" is a good example: it was a very friendly place and we got to know each other. Off topic? You bet!

Oh a note to dongringo -the mods here seem to respond to posters e.g. when we suggest that a hijack belongs on another thread, they move it. Also, they have started new threads to re-classify stuff.

Believe me, when it gets too off topic, I don't let it go - but this is a friendly place and just like a face-to-face conversation, things can get off topic. Roll with it. :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just click on another topic and forget about it. Life's to short to worry about such mundane things.
As I was saying about living in a ****** ghetto in Tepetapan in Catemaco, those pimiento trees look good enough to eat. Unfortunately I dont chew too well. Does anyone know a good dentist north of Guatemala?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.