Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI im thinking of starting my own animation company in sharm and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to go about this? thanks x:)

·
Registered
985 Posts
Animation staff in hotels are employed by the hotel....They pay peanuts for long hours... usually throwing in free meals.
I can't imagine any hotel would want to employ an outside animation team, at greater cost....staff are easy to come by!!
Also.... as Maiden rightly says, the situation in Egypt is scarey at the moment.... tourists are keeping away!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok well thanks 4 ur opinions but as far as i can see maidenscotland has a negative/patronising spin to put on most threads. Not exactly welcoming

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Ok well thanks 4 ur opinions but as far as i can see maidenscotland has a negative/patronising spin to put on most threads. Not exactly welcoming
I often wonder if people ever listen to the news or read through the forum.

This is a country in utter turmoil. No work, work visas getting harder and harder to get, crime is running out of control, people who have invested in off plan property are in danger of loosing their money. Gas for cooking in short supply, petrol for cars in short supply. Few tourists, foot and mouth disease, importing of dairy products has been halted. Cost of living ir spiralling, riots are common.

Why listen to me if you think I am negative.. come out, spend your money in the sun. I don't make the news I only comment on how I see it.

It is exactly the same on the Spain board if someone says I am coming out to start a business etc and they are not praised for doing so feel they then should complain about the negativity they feel that is coming over on the threads.

·
Registered
243 Posts
hee hee ooh i love it when someone doesn't listen!!!! (And it's maidenscot with a sharp right hook!! DIng ding ding!! Knock OUT!!)

·
Registered
836 Posts
Getting a bit fed up with these who are sitting anywhere but not in Egypt and don't realise what it's like here .Those of us that are living here and liking it is because we have got used to it over the time but those of you who are wanting to come here to start a business or other ideas don't know what their in for and seemingly don't like the advice we give. Wake up the country is in turmoil and it's not by spending a week or 2 in a Sharm resort you see the real Egypt. Those of you who come here expecting to start businesses easily are in for a big shock and it's not only a culture shock.

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
What the OP should do is go to visit Egypt to see what its like, see how her business plan would work, get feedback from hotel owners etc. Do some fact finding. After all knowledge and information is key to starting any business

Jo xxx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jeeesus ur like vultures! Know one is disputing the problems in the country and please do not talk down to me as if im a silly child. I was askin a simple question and happened to comment on a certain persons hostile attitude. Why the hell are you even living in egypt serrioosly!! And my comment about how rude you can be is nothing to do with me not liking the answer, its the way the question was answered. Know it all fools!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
charleen said:
hee hee ooh i love it when someone doesn't listen!!!! (And it's maidenscot with a sharp right hook!! DIng ding ding!! Knock OUT!!)
Who wasnt listening?? I heard the answer loud and clear! I wrote on here a few months ago about goin to work in egypt got nuffin but negative replys....... Went anyway n had the best time ever if it was left dwn to you lot know1 would even visit for a holiday!

·
Registered
454 Posts
Have you read any of the previous threads that deal with animation teams in Sharm? Since many hotels have stopped hiring workers for their teams, it is a logical assumption that they are not looking for a new source of animation teams.

I realize that it is difficult to find credible information from governmental sources that would help guide you in this decision-making process. However, getting snippy with people who are honest enough to tell you what it's really like rather than give you some candy-coated response is ludicrous.

The have been numerous people who have posted on here about wanting to come start a business. Here, but have no idea of the laws governing businesses. Additionally, they are in the process of rewriting the constitution, so who knows if it will create even more barriers to the formation of new companies by any foreigner.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Who wasnt listening?? I heard the answer loud and clear! I wrote on here a few months ago about goin to work in egypt got nuffin but negative replys....... Went anyway n had the best time ever if it was left dwn to you lot know1 would even visit for a holiday!

Look here if you don't like what we say no problem it's your life. We have all been to the Red sea resorts and had a great time but we come back down to earth when we return to our homes in Cairo and Alex to the real Egypt.

Also we see what's going on here with our own eyes not with the hyped up media in the european press etc. We see and hear about things that are not reported outside of Egypt because it's bad for tourism.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hhaddad said:
Look here if you don't like what we say no problem it's your life. We have all been to the Red sea resorts and had a great time but we come back down to earth when we return to our homes in Cairo and Alex to the real Egypt.

Also we see what's going on here with our own eyes not with the hyped up media in the european press etc. We see and hear about things that are not reported outside of Egypt because it's bad for tourism.
Considering i do not wish to travel to cairo or alex "the real egypt" that last point is quite irrelevant to me. U all seem so depressed..... Maybe you should return to your own countries if its such a terrible thing livin in Egypt #justsayin :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I lived in sharm and hurghada for over 5years loved it but its not like when you come on holidays like the other posters said. Life isn't as easy as it appears, for me, I was lucky always had a well paid job with accomadation and bills paid for work 8-3 and off weekends so I was able enjoy my life there. I have many friends who work in animation who don't have the luxury of that; working 14hours a day ,paid about 500 dollars ,living in staff accommodation shared bedroom in hotels with 1day off a week. Animation is a difficult job, I understand you want to start your own team but as others said firstly tourism is completly down hotels are no way near capacity most are relatively empty they won't want any extra costs they have their own teams. Secondly the visa situation I know of people who have been deported in sharm for working without a work permit, you need to b sponsored by your work for this visa and if your planning on working free lance then that isn't possible. I know British DJs who work in sharm /hurghada also had that problem now just work in one club instead of various ones due to visa restrictions. If you are intent on coming to live in sharm I would suggest come out first and try to secure a job, if you're a dancer I would suggest the bigger clubs as they pay well from what I know .animation is possibly the hardest ,worst paid job you can get here, have you any other skills that would be useful here? I don't mean to sound negative like I said I loved my life in sharm and hurghada would still be there except for change in personal circumstances but you need to be aware its not as perfect as it seems on holidays you need a well paid job with all the benefits to enjoy it. Best of luck

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Considering i do not wish to travel to cairo or alex "the real egypt" that last point is quite irrelevant to me. U all seem so depressed..... Maybe you should return to your own countries if its such a terrible thing livin in Egypt #justsayin :)
I love living in Egypt, but there will always be upside and downsides.
Starting a business in animation does sound a bit difficult. speaking to hotel owners is the best idea.:confused2:

holidays are one thing - working here is quite different. Yes the weather is great and there is lots of fun to be had. But the unpredictability and illogical driving can become draining.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts