Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the right section. Just want to say hi as I'm new on here. I'm from Ireland and am married to an aussie, we have a 19 month old daughter. I've been living in Melbourne, outer eastern sububrbs, for nearly 5 years and really miss home. Would love to chat to people in the same situation. I don't know any Irish people in Melbourne and really only have aussie friends. Would like to chat to people that can understand homesickness etc. Thanks everyone, hope to hear from a few of you:)

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
HI Alipat,

welcome to the forum. you will find lot of people here who miss their friends and family and hometown. not just irish folks but those from around the world.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Alipat,

I'm not from Ireland (my husband is though) and we've been out here (Limestone Coast) for 2.5 years, and I have to say I haven't missed the UK although I have missed family and friends.

Are there any Irish groups that you can join in Melbourne if that's the culture that you miss?

My Dad tells me when he goes to get West Indian curry goat and rice take-away - we don't get any of that within about a 500km radius, so I do miss the food from the UK too sometimes.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

We have quite a few Irish members who post on here.....hopefully they'll reply and you can share your thoughts with them.

Like Karen, I don't really miss England but I do miss my friends and family. It's an adjustment we all have to learn to live with. We can make it easier through skype etc though.

Dolly

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Hi Alipat:

How long since you've last visited Ireland. I think with the 19 month old daughter it could be more than a year.

TBH I'm also not much of a friends maker but I'm generally happy that way (don't need lots of people, just a few).

Irish club/pub sounds like the right sort of thing. I think you need just a little taste of home now and then to feel OK.

I get my 'fix' of this taste when my wife visits here friends. I get a bit of some good food, a bit of the local language and I'm good.

Hi all,

Not sure if I'm in the right section. Just want to say hi as I'm new on here. I'm from Ireland and am married to an aussie, we have a 19 month old daughter. I've been living in Melbourne, outer eastern sububrbs, for nearly 5 years and really miss home. Would love to chat to people in the same situation. I don't know any Irish people in Melbourne and really only have aussie friends. Would like to chat to people that can understand homesickness etc. Thanks everyone, hope to hear from a few of you:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies:)

I'm going home next month for 5 weeks so can't wait, so shouldn't complain really. I have friends here but it's nice to talk to people that are in the same situation of being far away from family and friends. I have to agree that I don't really miss home as a place just the people. The weather is enough to make me want to come back.

Will look forward to visting this forum and chatting to others from different parts of the world living in Australia:D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi all,

I will be arriving on Melbourne on the 29th of November. Is there any little (I stress little) thing I could bring you from the UK to cheer you up? Let me know. I'll be traveling from London, not Ireland, btw........

:O)

Matt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will be arriving on Melbourne on the 29th of November. Is there any little (I stress little) thing I could bring you from the UK to cheer you up? Let me know. I'll be traveling from London, not Ireland, btw........

:O)

Matt
Thank you Matt, that's a very kind offer :) but I'm going home in 3 weeks so I will get my fix of things I miss very soon. I joined this forum to see if there is any Irish/british communities around melbourne. The only people I meet are backpackers not settled in Australia. I hope you have a great time in Melbourne;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Alipat,

Welcome!!

I too am an Irish lass, married to an Aussie and living in Melbourne. Like you, I have experienced homesickness and miss the friendly banter of the Irish . . . I've just recently come back from 4 weeks at home (Ireland) and I loved it, but in saying that I equally loved coming back to Melbourne.

My partner is Aussie, but isn't from Melbourne, so we did struggle at the start to make friends and I was determined at that stage not to fall into the trap of Irish pubs etc. I did make some Irish friends, but most were backpackers who were more than happy to be friends, but (and this may sound selfish) I want to make friends with people who are around for a long time, not just a fun time. I found with backpackers, I was almost like a tour guide - telling them where to go, what to do etc and thats not entirely what I want to be about.

You and I appear to be living on opposite sides of the city (North vs. East) but I do work in the city and am keen to make new friends . . .

Drop me a line if you fancy a chat!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Alipat,

Welcome!!

I too am an Irish lass, married to an Aussie and living in Melbourne. Like you, I have experienced homesickness and miss the friendly banter of the Irish . . . I've just recently come back from 4 weeks at home (Ireland) and I loved it, but in saying that I equally loved coming back to Melbourne.

My partner is Aussie, but isn't from Melbourne, so we did struggle at the start to make friends and I was determined at that stage not to fall into the trap of Irish pubs etc. I did make some Irish friends, but most were backpackers who were more than happy to be friends, but (and this may sound selfish) I want to make friends with people who are around for a long time, not just a fun time. I found with backpackers, I was almost like a tour guide - telling them where to go, what to do etc and thats not entirely what I want to be about.

You and I appear to be living on opposite sides of the city (North vs. East) but I do work in the city and am keen to make new friends . . .

Drop me a line if you fancy a chat!!
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm leaving for home this week so am very excited. I know what you mean about the casual friends it's nice to meet people from home but they tend to be mostly backpackers. I don't think you're being selfish at all it's hard to make friends with people who leave in a few months.

My husband is from country vic so we are the same situation his family lives all over Aust, so we don't have any immediate family nearby. I know what you mean about the Irish bars etc they're not like home at all!

How long have you lived in melbourne for? Where in Ireland are you from? I hope you are enjoying living here. Be good to chat!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts