Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all! I'm Fly!
Trying to settle in to Dubai life but finding it all a real big challenge, some days I barely hear the sound of my own voice so needless to say I am feel lonely!
Would love to make some friends and have a group of people to hang out with and get to know :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dubai can be hard to settle into but really great as well. What are you doing here, how old are you, where do you live or what are you interests etc. :)

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Im a teacher :)
Interests are swimming,running,cycling,cooking and music
Sounds like you need to do a triathlon!
If you sing at the same time, that just leaves cooking for when you get home....

There are a few Tri clubs in town, as well as loads of organised cycling groups.
If you want more pointers in this direction, let me know

Reactions: BrokenWings

·
Registered
19 Posts
hi all! I'm Fly!
Trying to settle in to Dubai life but finding it all a real big challenge, some days I barely hear the sound of my own voice so needless to say I am feel lonely!
Would love to make some friends and have a group of people to hang out with and get to know :D

How long have you been in Dubai for? It's a pretty daunting place i've found so far. Also suffering from slight hesitation to approach who people who seem to be from the UK just in case they're not (or they are and they pretend they're not)

Where in Dubai are you based? I'm in Deira which I don't really think is an expat hotspot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I said Hi to someone today and he remarked, Oh you're English! I thought the blue eyes gave me away most of the time.

I'm going to be living & working in the marina area :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
hahaha i'll just start saying 'Hi' to random people then.

I got quite excited when I saw the Bens Cookies in Dubai Mall, can't have been anyone from the UK around as they would probably would have come over and said 'Hi' as it was quite obvious I was surprised to see them in Dubai Mall, considering there's barely any in London.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Works for me :D

So far I've had magic tricks taught on me, met one of our patients, been told my life must be boring without kids and made to repeat No Money, No Honey!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sounds like you've had an interesting start to being in Dubai then, I hope when they said about 'boring without kids' you mentioned that you don't have to worry about school fees. Also guessing you don't sell honey for a living. Are there even Bees here?

Being on my own means my outgoings have solely consisted of food and taxi fares.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Problem with the metro, it takes you to walking distance to places...if the weather was UK weather. Most metro journeys require a taxi to and from the station.

Still in awe of the view along Sheikh Zayed Road on the metro though, especially as I found out earlier that there are 16 buildings just in Dubai that are taller than The Shard.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I got taxis from Jumeriah 1 to the Marina and back today... then around the other end...

Was thinking about heading to Dubai mall late morning then hop on the metro to Marina then into a taxi to the apt I'm going to view. Although best laid out plans never happen that way

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Problem with the metro, it takes you to walking distance to places...if the weather was UK weather. Most metro journeys require a taxi to and from the station.

Still in awe of the view along Sheikh Zayed Road on the metro though, especially as I found out earlier that there are 16 buildings just in Dubai that are taller than The Shard.
Only for 4 months of the year,
8 months of the year are eminently walkable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good luck, hope there isn't too much traffic along the way. Hope the apartment is up to expectations. I'm in Deira for a few weeks but eventually looking to rent in Al Barsha.

Great news about being able to walk it, everyone keeps saying 'it's better in October'. Even waiting to cross the road at a big junction at the moment is unbearable (Being in a suit with my laptop in my bag might have contributed though)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had a good trip out, saw somewhere I like, just hope it's still free today. Although it wasn't quite finished inside he assured me it would be by Saturday :s

·
Registered
19 Posts
Had a good trip out, saw somewhere I like, just hope it's still free today. Although it wasn't quite finished inside he assured me it would be by Saturday :s
Hmmm I've only been here a week and a half and I'm apprehensive about deadlines they make. I've had people say they're 10 minutes away....for us to be kept waiting an hour and a half and they still haven't shown up.
Did you manage to get to Dubai Mall? I might go tomorrow, can't think of what else to do to occupy the weekend. (Don't think i'll get used to working on a Sunday)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Azhar-ud-din said:
Hmmm I've only been here a week and a half and I'm apprehensive about deadlines they make. I've had people say they're 10 minutes away....for us to be kept waiting an hour and a half and they still haven't shown up.
Did you manage to get to Dubai Mall? I might go tomorrow, can't think of what else to do to occupy the weekend. (Don't think i'll get used to working on a Sunday)
You will but will still mix up Thursday / Fr iday thing!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Dubai mall is SO huge! I was there 5 hours and barely skimmed round. Saw the light and water show by the Burj Kalifa, very nice.

Went to the beach this morning, chilled out, read my book, had a swim.

:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts