Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there everybody,

My name is Sammi and I am looking for some broad general advice. My husband and I are both British and are currently living in Nordrhine Westfalia in Germany. My husband is in the forces, and I am currently about to give birth to our first child.

Although we love our families and *certain* aspects of Britain, we are both very adamant that we want to move away. Especially now we have a family it is important that we look after the future of our child / children, and both feel that Britain is not the place!

A bit of background. I'm not trained in much but have always worked in sales (read recruitment 7 years) and office work (read temping whilst moving around with the army) am currently studying fitness and to be a personal trainer, I hope to be fully qualified by the end of this year. My husband, as I said is currently serving in the Armed Forces.

As for likes and dislikes. Important factors are health, and education obviously. My husband and I love outdoor sports and persuits, and we want to live somewhere our family can do things like hiking, mountain biking, preferably not too far from winter sports especially snowboarding. So the outdoors life is also important.
For me, I would love at least six months decent summer, I was so disappointed to learn that Canada's climate is as cold as it is because parts of it sounded otherwise perfect. I just don't think I could deal with rain for that long in the year.

Oh and last but not least we have a three year old German Shepherd who is as dear to us as a child. So it's without question that she would come with us!

What we are looking for is some ideas on where to emigrate to. How you decided where to go, what is the good the bad and the downright ugly. We obviously wouldn't undertake a move without throughly investigating and visiting our chosen destination, but I think the best place to start is word of mouth.

So if you guys have any strong feelings about a particular country then I would be incredibly grateful to hear them.

Sorry for the long intro post, all the best, and thank you in advance.

Sammi

Sorry, it might be worth mentioning that I am 33 in one month, although hubby is 27. I know that re visa's certain countries don't look favourably on 'older' peeps :D

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Sammi,

Welcome to the forum......and good luck for your impending birth!

Deciding on moving to another country, and reasons for that move, is generally a very personal thing. Sometimes it's due to a work secondment, mostly because people are looking for a 'better' lifestyle, climate etc.

We moved to Melbourne just over 2 years ago. We came for a reccie trip first and loved it (my OH has family here so that helped). We were not enjoying living in the UK any more and wanted a change, but also somewhere where our boys would like and hopefully get the same standard of education as they were getting in the UK.

People are very nice here (generally speaking, you are always going to get numpties where ever you are in the world), the weather is brilliant (we get the 4 seasons here), outlook to life is as laid back as expected (until you get aussies behind a steering wheel...then all bets are off!!!).

For the 4 of us, we all agree it's the best decision we could have made.

Have a look at the different forums, read posts and try to get a feel for what members write about the country they are living in.

The world is a b-i-g place.

Dolly

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
As I read your note, my 1st thought was Australia as that seemed a natural. Then I saw response from Dolly. I'm not an expert on immigration options within commonwealth but I have heard that there are special exceptions for persons willing to join the Australian military.
Since your husband is in the military now, this might also be a natural move.
I've not lived in Australia but during 6 years in Singapore & BeiJing, the talk of locals was always about the many positives of migrating to Australia. Also, my daughter spent semester at University of New South Wales and thought that the options were wonderful.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts