Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my husbands been offered a job in Melbourne but have never looked into living in OZ!

His gross salary will be $71k inc superannuation of 9%

Aprox what will his take home be? - and so how much should I budget for other bills Utilities ( is there a coucil tax equivalent) and rent.

Also have a 2.5 year old so how much is childcare?

And finally any recomendations about where to live, the job is in Oakleigh? but as we have a child we want somewhere family friendly, good childcare etc and nearish the beach (or is that too much to ask for?)

I have little idea of rental prices so with his salary is it realistic to live on confortably or will I need to get a job... :confused:

Sorry for all the questions - really glad I found this forum

·
Registered
10 Posts
$71k a year? I'm not too sure on Melbourne prices as I live in Brisbane but I know it is more expensive than here - however with that much money you should be fine as that is quite a good wage. Melbourne city is quite good with its public transport of trams etc and the only thing that you should really worry about being more expensive is the rent.

I don't have children so I can't talk to you about childcare too much- sorry. I don't think that you would need to get a job but if you do (depending on what qualifications you have) and you have a mediocre job - then you would just be working to pay for daycare really. I know in Brisbane that it is about $50 to $60 per day for childcare.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the "cost of living" sticky at the top of the forum page to get an idea of how much things cost.

Also have a look at the "please read....." sticky too as it has links to real estate companies and that will also give you an idea of rental prices.

Here's the Victorian Governments education website: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development - Department of Education and Early Childhood Development . It's a fantastic source on how the education system works here. You can also find schools.

Here's the local council website: Monash City Council home page | News and Events, Community Services

Public transport into the CBD is via Timetables - Metlink - Your guide to public transport in Melbourne and Victoria

I live on the Mornington Peninsula so not sure of Oakleigh as an area to live.

Here's a link to an online local newspaper: Oakleigh Monash Leader newspapers Melbourne news, sport, events, gig guide, groups | whereilive

There's a couple of websites that provide social networking for mums: Mothers Groups, Pregnancy Forum, Mothers Club
... Mums Club - Find Local Mums and Groups

Finally, here's a link to Victorian online radio Radio - Victoria Online

Before we moved over we listened to australian local radio and I kept an eye on the online local papers too.....you really do get a feel for what the area is like and what's going on within the community.

If you need more info etc, just ask away.

Dolly

PS check out the tax office website for the tax calculator as well : http://www.ato.gov.au/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts