Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My girlfriend and I want to live together, and work together and all that.

She, who is a Romanian national right now, is in London right now, studying at a pretty prestigious university for her doctorate. They pay her above 18,000 pounds per year, which is the minimum I think for economic independence. I am about to graduate from the University of California (undergraduate) and I want to join her in London. Although we have been in a relationship for over two years now, only about one year of this were we living together. If i would join her, I would have no job waiting for me, but i've worked a bit this semester so I have some cash saved up.

We lived together: January - July 2012 in California; Late Dec.-Mid Jan 2013 in Romania and Germany (I visited her family in Romania for the holidays, and then she followed me to Germany for a couple weeks before her school began); March 2013 in Scotland (where she was going to school); June-August 2013 (we stayed in Romania with her family June through July, and she stayed all of August with me and my family in California.

In anticipation of visiting Romania, I took a course at my university in Romanian so that I could interact with her parents and grandparents.

We have many photos of us together, and we also have over a year of continuous emails and love letters.

However, we do not have any shared expenses.

In addition, as of now we are not married, but have considered getting married so that I can stay with her in London and build a sustainable lifestyle.

One option we have would be to get married in Romania, and then could we apply for the EEA family permit? Or perhaps we don't need to get married at all.

Thanks.

Also, do you have any advice for getting the EEA permit. I saw online that you need to have a relationship of two years. Should we get friends and parents to write letters?

Thank you very much.

Humbly yours,
dywx

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Marriage is the only realistic option as you don't have a solid record of 2-year cohabitation, which unmarried partnership requires. It doesn't matter where you get married, but once the knot is tied, you can apply for EEA family permit on the basis of her self-sufficiency. You both need comprehensive sickness insurance, even though she may have EHIC and is entitled to some free treatment under NHS - insurance requirement is mandated by EU regulations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joppa. Do you think if I got married in Romania, I would then be able to come to the UK under my visitor VISA and then apply for the EEA family permit?

I'm afraid that the agent responsible for the case would say that the close proximity from marriage to claiming an EEA permit would prove that our marriage was one of convenience.

Thanks.

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
No. EEA family permit must be obtained outside UK. You can get it in Romania after your wedding.
Provided you can give evidence of your relationship leading up to your marriage, you stand a good chance of being approved.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great! Even if I apply from within Romania after marrying, would I be able to come to the UK in the interrim between when I apply for the EEA permit and when I hear back from them? I still qualify as an American resident for a visitor VISA, and i think i don't have to pay for it either.

Thanks

:)

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
Not recommended. Wait until your EEA permit is issued - typically it takes 2 weeks in Romania - and then enter UK together.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! Figured I'm going to try it anyway.

My partner gets paid 18,500 pounds or so per year by Imperial College of London for a scholarship for her research as part of the doctorate program at the college of engineering. Does this mean she is a student (working). or student (nonworking) thanks!

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
She is a student in receipt of scholarship. In EEA terms, she is in self-sufficient category.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, so student (nonworking) I suppose.

Probably my last question: when the form asks for any additional information on the last page, is that where I should compose a letter giving more details about our relationship? Such as

"How and why the relationship developed.
If you’ve spent time apart - why, and how you felt during this time.
Your shared social activities and hobbies.
Milestones in your relationship such as moving in together or going on hols.
What makes your relationship special for you.
What makes your partner special for you.
Future plans you may have.
How you would feel if you were forced to be apart."

Otherwsie, could I just leave this form blank and submit this letter attached with my application-at-large.

Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Joppa. So I'll do it seperate.

Another question that came up--- when the prompt asks how long I plan on staying in the UK, should I say "Permanently" or should I stay "As long as partner." I don't have room to fit both. However, my priority is staying as long as my partner. However I would like to also settle if she decides to do so. What do you think is more convincing? I'm not doing this VISA thing to just live in the UK, but i'm doing it to be with my sweetiepie. Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ah! also, when it asks if i have any friends or relatives, should i put my partner down and say she is my other relative? or say that she is my friend? this might be getting redundant though because ive put her in so many places already. however, i do consider her my family.:llama:

·
Registered
39,104 Posts
You can put 6 months which is the length of your EEA family permit.
What they are asking is any other relatives or friends in UK.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Incredible! Some of these questions are so confusing and written so poorly, I would be lost without my Joppa.

Here are the final things I would like to ask: when submitting her status as either student (working) or student (nonworking), I realized that when put student working it gives me the option of detailing how much money she recieves each month after taxes, how much money she gets from friends and family, and so on. nonworking doesnt give such options, and this i think nonworking might be more advantageous because it would give more details as to the position she has and would put more torwards our case. as it is a scholarship, it is also a paid doctorate-- she basically does research and teaches for the uni and she gets a monthly salary in exchange. in such cases, is student (working) cool to put?

Also, when the form asks "Total monthly income in GBP(£) from: Savings and Investments Properties and Rents Stocks and shares Publc funds or Benefits Other sources including friends and family" when it asks if us as a couple have investments or savings, would we combine the amount in GBP that we would be getting from our parents together?

Also, two things. Although an EEA citizen, she has not been issued an EEA Number, nor a National Insurance Number. Can I just put her national ID (romania) or her passport number for these? Or should I put "N/A?" Does it matter that she does not have them? She didn't order an EEA number, because she is already an EEA citizen and doing so is apparently optional.

Thanks a million Joppa. After this, my online submission will be complete!!!!! :p :p :p I'd love to take you out for a drink when I get to the UK.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.