Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys :D

I am an Australian married to a Canadian and we have been living in Angola now for 10 months. Prior to this assignment I was living in London and my husband in France. It seems now that we will be transferred to Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. Whew, a lot of moving!

Neither of us has been to Brazil before and I noticed there is no established Brazil group here either. Any chance someone out there can give me some info? The main things I want to know are:

Is it really that dangerous? I'm used to living in West Africa now so I can handle myself fairly well but all I keep hearing is how unsafe Rio is.

I want to live in a biggish apartment because we are planning on having a baby over there. I have heard rent is very expensive. What is the average price and size of decent apartments in the Ipenema/Leblon/Flamengo areas?

I will be there on a dependent visa, my husband on a 2 year working visa. Since we have been married I have not had a chance to change my surname. If I do this in Brazil and get a new passport in my new name do you envisage huge visa problems will follow?

Thanks for you help!!

The Thorps.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
Moving to Brazil

Hi guys :D

I am an Australian married to a Canadian and we have been living in Angola now for 10 months. Prior to this assignment I was living in London and my husband in France. It seems now that we will be transferred to Rio de Janeiro in Brazil. Whew, a lot of moving!

Neither of us has been to Brazil before and I noticed there is no established Brazil group here either. Any chance someone out there can give me some info? The main things I want to know are:

Is it really that dangerous? I'm used to living in West Africa now so I can handle myself fairly well but all I keep hearing is how unsafe Rio is.

I want to live in a biggish apartment because we are planning on having a baby over there. I have heard rent is very expensive. What is the average price and size of decent apartments in the Ipenema/Leblon/Flamengo areas?

I will be there on a dependent visa, my husband on a 2 year working visa. Since we have been married I have not had a chance to change my surname. If I do this in Brazil and get a new passport in my new name do you envisage huge visa problems will follow?

Thanks for you help!!

The Thorps.
Hi,

And welcome to the site. I don’t know anything at all about Brazil – except coffee is their main export. I know that’s no help but just wanted to jump in and say hello.

I’m not even sure where to direct you for good solid information. Perhaps if you contact the Brazilian embassy where you are they might be able to point you in the right direction.

Also, when you get moved and find the time, please be sure to do some posting here on this site. What you learn will be of much help to others that are looking for the same information.

Again, welcome and Mabuhay from the Philippines

Gene and Viol…
:clap2:

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi, we have a lot of brzilian working with us and i think a couple is rio d. j origin.will let him answer ur questions . tks .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts