Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
This is my first time on this forums and from what I've seen people here are quite friendly and helpful, but I couldn't quite find a thread of my problem/situation.. so, here goes:

I'm a EU citizen (originally from Latvia), I can move around Europe without any problems, currently living in United Kingdom, Scotland.

She is from the US, just got her passport for the first time really.

I want to marry this girl I met online, she will be coming to Scotland in 2 months, we plan to get married so we could finally be together.. but.. we've read quite a lot on how to get this to work but theres so much information that I get lost on what's actually happening and how to get it to work.

My question is.. How should we plan this? Perhaps we could get married in like - Latvia? or France? Thing is, if she leaves US she won't be able to come back really. Unless I work hard and get her a hotel or something but... yeh..

I've also read that if she enters UK on a visitor visa we won't be able to get married.. is this true? Is there a way around it?

I assume she can stay in UK for 3 months, then we could just move to Schengen Area and she would have 3 months to reside, say, in Latvia? We're ready to travel around the world if it means to be together..

I don't know if anyone had anything like this, but if you feel like you have at least a little bit of advice, please ! please do tell!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!

~NeO

·
Registered
465 Posts
YES, you're right. You can't enter on a visitor visa and get married. That's against the visa rules, ALSO it could mess up your next visa when you wanna stay with each other BIG time.

If you get a marriage visa, this is a visit visa, she is allowed to visit to get married, but then must go home. Kind of a touristy thing.
If you want to settle, she will need a fiance visa for the UK so she can come over and THEN get married and then apply for a second visa within the UK after marriage to STAY, but I can't say everything with this because you're not from the UK you're from EU, so I'm hoping a mod will help out with their knowledge.

Not sure about moving around like that on visitor visas. But someone can answer those for you. Sorry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I kind of hope someone has been in a similar situation! I've read that Denmark is the easiest place to get married but i'm so unsure.. How hard can it be to get married? D:

Hopefully I'll get an answer! :fingerscrossed:

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Have you met in person?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You have to have met in person to do some visa requirements.
Not sure about marriage visa in another country, but in the UK that is a requirement to get married.
They will probably be questionable about your relationship before your marriage if you tried to get a spouse visa.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well plan is to live in uk for like 3 months (her visitor visa) Then move to a Schengen Area (France, Denmark, Latvia etc) and get married there?

So therefore we would've met in person, lived together for 3 months etc, moved to another EU country to get married? Wouldn't that work?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hm. Wait. How does she plan on moving? Like, you can't apply for settlement if you're outside the US as far as I know. Also she will probably get turned away if she shows up on a one-way ticket to the UK.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Well plan is to live in uk for like 3 months (her visitor visa) Then move to a Schengen Area (France, Denmark, Latvia etc) and get married there? Wouldnt that be possible?
Sure it's possible ......

Hope she has plenty of money to show that she can visit the UK for three months - no job back in the US then?

How's it going to work out if, when she sees you and spends time with you, she does not want to marry you?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hm. Wait. How does she plan on moving? Like, you can't apply for settlement if you're outside the US as far as I know. Also she will probably get turned away if she shows up on a one-way ticket to the UK.

Yeah she's gonna have a "return" ticket, at the end of 90 days we'll just go to Latvia instead, OR instead of a return ticket get a ticket to Latvia already, so she will be out of UK within 90 days..

Hope she has plenty of money to show that she can visit the UK for three months - no job back in the US then?
Does she need a bank statement if shes just a tourist? ;o

·
Registered
465 Posts
^ It's not that they want to know she has money to spend as a tourist, its that she can support herself - saying you're staying with a stranger (someone you've never met before) for three months is a long time and sounds pretty fishy to an officer, and they like to know you have access to money so you can get help if you need it or provide yourself with food, etc.,

I never brought a bank statement and never had that much money, as I was going to be with family, but I guess I just got lucky. Often they will ask about it if you stay a long time.

Also what do you mean by having a return ticket, and then going to Latvia instead?
Hm sorry just trying to wrap my head around your plans.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Yeah she's gonna have a "return" ticket, at the end of 90 days we'll just go to Latvia instead, OR instead of a return ticket get a ticket to Latvia already, so she will be out of UK within 90 days..

Deleted.........

Let us know how you get on when you have met this lady.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, yeah, she wouldnt have as much money I guess, idk if we could find a way around it, sure that sounds fishy haha
And about the ticket, well, UK border control states that you have to have a return ticket, e.g. so you're out of the country within 90 days, instead of a return ticket, just get a plane ticket to a different country instead, so UK border control wont have to worry if she will overstay her welcome or not..

I guess i just have to figure out where would it be easier to get married o_o

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.