Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like the fire season is with us again along with a large one near our own Travelling Man. I hope you're OK TM.

Stay safe everyone and please spare a thought for the bombeiros.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Folks, I have just seen on the BBC website that 57 people have lost their lives in the fire at Pedrógão Grande, most trying to escape. Some of these were recovered from their cars. There are also 59 injured including several firefighters. This is so sad.

I have tried to contact TM on his landline but it is not working. TM's mobile is ringing out unanswered. The number that I have ends *****6816. If any of you have any other way to contact him, please let us know if you get through. One of TM's closest friends is forum member 'Maggy Crawford' but I have no idea where Maggy lives. I have sent both a PM and will come back here immediately if I hear from either of them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the injured has now sadly passed bring the total to 58.

We have been in touch with the bombeiros who are asking for water, milk and fresh fruit. Please help out if you can.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Well, I'd hardly expect the French to send firemen to west London and from what I gather, they have been INUNNDATED with food, clothing etc. Not that I'd defend our beloved non-leaderene in any way.
Any news on TM or Maggie, JB??

·
Registered
207 Posts
Folks, I have just seen on the BBC website that 57 people have lost their lives in the fire at Pedrógão Grande, most trying to escape. Some of these were recovered from their cars. There are also 59 injured including several firefighters. This is so sad.

I have tried to contact TM on his landline but it is not working. TM's mobile is ringing out unanswered. The number that I have ends *****6816. If any of you have any other way to contact him, please let us know if you get through. One of TM's closest friends is forum member 'Maggy Crawford' but I have no idea where Maggy lives. I have sent both a PM and will come back here immediately if I hear from either of them.

I can confirm the TM's number ends in 6816.

I am also trying to contact my ex-wife who lives a few miles along the same road in Moita. If anyone has any updates or news sources........ :)

Thanks

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can confirm the TM's number ends in 6816.

I am also trying to contact my ex-wife who lives a few miles along the same road in Moita. If anyone has any updates or news sources........ :)

Thanks
Hi Matt. I had forgotten that your place was so close. We're on our way to the fire station to drop some supplies off. I'll try to ascertain if your area is directly affected or not.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'd hardly expect the French to send firemen to west London and from what I gather, they have been INUNNDATED with food, clothing etc. Not that I'd defend our beloved non-leaderene in any way.
Any news on TM or Maggie, JB??
Nothing yet Smudges other than all landlines in the area are down as you would expect. No landline also means no Internet for some. There's also the possibility that cell towers are affected.

I will post back here with any updates.

Colin

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Matt. I had forgotten that your place was so close. We're on our way to the fire station to drop some supplies off. I'll try to ascertain if your area is directly affected or not.

Thanks Colin. I just heard from her father. She had to drive some distance from the house to get a phone signal so yes, mobile towers must be down in the area. She is OK.

There is apparently fire damage in our garden, and a broken window in the house, but the house has survived. If I hear any more I will post it here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts