Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I can't thank you all enough for the information you have all provided over the last couple of weeks.
My wife and I are due over in Calgary for 2 weeks in June to help us make the final decision on should we stay or should we go. The only real concern I have is will I get a job which has been put to rest as I have had two job offers in the space of a week so good good on that front. My wife is worried about the lack of support i.e her mum is no longer just down the road so the 2 weeks we have coming up need to show us this is right move.
So I have a couple of questions that I am hoping you guys can help with as follows.
1. Do you with kids feel that the education system is better than the UK?
2. What in your oponion is the real differance between Canada and the UK?
3. How easy or hard have you found it establishing a network of people/friends?

I have one more request if anyone has settled in Calgary can you give me some info as I have yet to see any threads regarding Calgary.

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Where to start!
Education system is different certainly. If you want to check out how different it can be try going to bbc.co.uk and searching r Sun Peaks school

The feeling I get is that the focus is different. It' more about the child developing and taking responsibility for their learning. They work hard and play hard. In the main they want to learn because of the environment and culture. Downside is the labour laws and how teachers chosse where they want to work in a district by seniority not necessarily expertise. This may be unique to BC though.

Next there is space. - lots of it. Look at Vancouver island and see England having almost the same square mileage. Look at population per square kilometre for both countries.

My shifts were two eleven hour days followed by two eleven hour nights followed by four to six days off. We kayaked almost every day last summer that I didn't work, or hiked, biked, drove out into the country and saw bears, deer, yellow bellied marmots etc etc. i drive 40 minutes to work and have never missed a shift because of bad weather in 6 years.

We miss our family. Of course we do but when we suggested to our granddaughters that they could come to us or we could go to Wales there was no hesitation. They swam in the lakes, kayaked and canoed, learnt how to waterski, had campfires, played badminton on the lawn and so on. Our eldest granddaughter went horseriding from a local stable and saw a bear! We regularly have deer and occasional bears in the garden.

We bless every day.

Please come and join us

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.