Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,

I have PhD in Computer Engineering with 8 years post PhD experience. I completed my postdoc (US) in 2013 as well. I got myself assessed for the occupation of 'University Lecturer'. My IELTS score was also great (7.5 and more in each). I applied for 190 NT SS as it was the only state with my profession, however within 3 weeks I got an email where I was offered 489 instead. I have read through almost all threads on expatforum but still have some questions. Your kind reply will help me decide about whether or not I should pay the large sum of 489-visa fee.

-->1. I know that 489 does not entitle an the visa holder to get govt. benefits. The only hope is that I get the job in Darwin as early as possible. How difficult would it be to find a job of my profession?

-->2. It is written in the invitation letter that I have to do a job only in my profession or related occupation. Can I get a list of related occupations ofo University Lecturer?
As my studies (and freelance hobbies) are related to IT would I be allowed to work in any of the following professions
A. Analyst (Information Technology)
B. Systems Designer (Information Technology)
C. IT Technical Writer
D. IT Training Consultant
E. IT Lecturer
F. Vocational Education and Training (VET) Lecturer

-->3. The 489 visa requires a full time job for at-least 12 months; can two part time jobs be accounted as one full time job?

-->4. If I fulfill the 489 obligation (of living for 2 years and working for at-least 1 year) and then apply for 887 for PR; will my these two years be considered when I apply for citizenship?

-->5. I contact some job agents in Darwin but seems that I need to be in Darwin before they can help. So Can I just visit AUS and get my visa validated first (get tax # etc.) and then go back to my home country and keep job hunting through internet? Or is it compulsory to be in NT for the 'First' two years after visa validation?

Waiting for help from worthy expats :)

Regards

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
You may also be able to get assessment as "Software Engineer" or another IT occupation code on the SOL, which would allow you to apply for a 189 visa instead. Caveat: You must have at least two years of full-time "development/engineering" experience, where full-time is defined as 20+hrs/week. I had a 50-50 split between lecturing and research duties during the last couple of years and managed to get assessment as software engineer based on my (industry) research projects.

Regarding your questions:
1.) It should be easy enough to get a part-time job as a "casual academic". Full-time staff lecturer positions seem to be hard to come by right now due to budget cuts. You should definitely tap into your academic network and reach out to colleagues in your field in Australia - they will have a better overview! Personally, I find a 489 visa overly limiting, if you are aiming for an academic position. What if a university in Melbourne or Perth has an open position in your field? You'd be unable to move...

2.) I would *think* that these are close enough, but if I were you I'd reach out to NT to confirm...

3.) Full-time is defined as 20+hrs/week by DIBP. So, one part-time job would be sufficient. Not sure how they would treat a case were you taught as a casual academic at two universities for a total of 20hrs...

4.) No, I don't believe so. The 489 visa is "provisional", not "permanent"

5.) You can return home after the validation trip and stay there for a couple of years. But once you move it has to be to Darwin and you must stay there for two years (even if that is year 3+4 of your visa validity).

In your profession I would probably not go for the 489 visa. The 189 visa would allow you to settle anywhere in Australia, plus there is no restriction on the jobs you can take. You could become a surf instructor, if that struck your fancy ;).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks espresso ! I did several research projects, I will surely think about getting another skill assessed. :)

2. How to contact NT. I replied to their email (in which they had offered me 489) but the ACK mail suggests to wait as the reply may take upto 2 weeks!

>>>>Full-time is defined as 20+hrs/week by DIBP. So, one part-time job would be sufficient. Not sure how they would treat a case were you taught as a casual academic at two universities for a total of 20hrs...
).
3. Can you point me to any DIBP resource which lists 20+hr/week as full-time? I have some other 489 related questions but I do not know how to contact them. Any (active) contact info of IDBP will help

5. I can not go on 189 as my occupation is not on SOL but only on CSOL :(

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
2.) No idea, check on their website?

3.) On the 489 visa page, Points tab, it says:

To claim points for skilled employment you must have, in the 10 years before you were invited to apply, at least 20 hours of paid work per week in your nominated skilled occupation and/or a closely related occupation.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dear all,

I have PhD in Computer Engineering with 8 years post PhD experience. I completed my postdoc (US) in 2013 as well. I got myself assessed for the occupation of 'University Lecturer'. My IELTS score was also great (7.5 and more in each). I applied for 190 NT SS as it was the only state with my profession, however within 3 weeks I got an email where I was offered 489 instead. I have read through almost all threads on expatforum but still have some questions. Your kind reply will help me decide about whether or not I should pay the large sum of 489-visa fee.

-->1. I know that 489 does not entitle an the visa holder to get govt. benefits. The only hope is that I get the job in Darwin as early as possible. How difficult would it be to find a job of my profession?

-->2. It is written in the invitation letter that I have to do a job only in my profession or related occupation. Can I get a list of related occupations ofo University Lecturer?
As my studies (and freelance hobbies) are related to IT would I be allowed to work in any of the following professions
A. Analyst (Information Technology)
B. Systems Designer (Information Technology)
C. IT Technical Writer
D. IT Training Consultant
E. IT Lecturer
F. Vocational Education and Training (VET) Lecturer

-->3. The 489 visa requires a full time job for at-least 12 months; can two part time jobs be accounted as one full time job?

-->4. If I fulfill the 489 obligation (of living for 2 years and working for at-least 1 year) and then apply for 887 for PR; will my these two years be considered when I apply for citizenship?

-->5. I contact some job agents in Darwin but seems that I need to be in Darwin before they can help. So Can I just visit AUS and get my visa validated first (get tax # etc.) and then go back to my home country and keep job hunting through internet? Or is it compulsory to be in NT for the 'First' two years after visa validation?

Waiting for help from worthy expats :)

Regards
hi...my occupation is also lecturer ..but i didnt get jobs listings in same field..so how you give NT evidence of emplyability?? ,i get only one at CDU ...please reply so that i can lodge my file..

thanks in advance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts