Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Me and my partner have always had the idea of doing a year abroad in the back of our mind. I'm currently studying a degree in building surveying, unfortunately my partner has no recognised qualifications, except the university of life!
Basically we are looking to spend 12 months living in Spain before we have children. I wondered if anyone had any info on the building trade and any idea of vacancies within the trade. Also we aren't too confident with the language. I can speak French and German confidently and find it easy and enjoyable coming to grasps with new languages however my Spanish is very limited due to not having much exposure. Is learning the language before making the move essential and necessary for jobs within the construction industry? Thanks in anticipation x

·
Registered
33,612 Posts
Spain isnt the place if you need to find work right now. There is mass unemployment, especially in the construction industry which crashed at the start of the recession and hasnt recovered yet.

Spain is a great place to be, but not if you need work. You also need an employment contract if you need to claim healthcare.

Jo xxx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jo

Thanks for your reply. I had read stuff along these lines but was hoping the reality wasn't as bad! I will see how things are looking in 12 months when I've finished my degree, but can't see think improving that drastically in such a short amount of time!
Thanks for your advice though.
Emily xx

G

·
Hi

Me and my partner have always had the idea of doing a year abroad in the back of our mind. I'm currently studying a degree in building surveying, unfortunately my partner has no recognised qualifications, except the university of life!
Basically we are looking to spend 12 months living in Spain before we have children. I wondered if anyone had any info on the building trade and any idea of vacancies within the trade. Also we aren't too confident with the language. I can speak French and German confidently and find it easy and enjoyable coming to grasps with new languages however my Spanish is very limited due to not having much exposure. Is learning the language before making the move essential and necessary for jobs within the construction industry? Thanks in anticipation x
I think in about 5 years time you MIGHT be able to find work in the construction industry but this is only a prediction. I know of hundreds of ex-trades who all lost their jobs in the crash. It is absolutely essential that you and your partner learn Spanish to a high standard if you want any chance of success in Spain. Otherwise, it's a huge drain on savings with no income.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brilliant, thanks for your advice. I suppose we could use the time wisely learning Spanish and see if things pick up job wise in the mean time. Thanks again :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts