Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have used this forum before and have had alot of help. Now I have another question!

My boyfriend lives in Vancouver, I live in Scotland. He has asked me to marry him and I was wondering what the process would be?

Can we get married while I am on vacation?
Do we need to have any documentation before we get married?
If we were married, how long would it take for us to be together?

Thanks in advance for any help or advise

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
I have used this forum before and have had alot of help. Now I have another question!

My boyfriend lives in Vancouver, I live in Scotland. He has asked me to marry him and I was wondering what the process would be?

Can we get married while I am on vacation?
Yes, absolutely.
Do we need to have any documentation before we get married?
You just need to go through the proper marriage procedures including getting a license.
If we were married, how long would it take for us to be together?
Please read Sponsoring your family: Spouses and dependent children You should request a SOWP (Spousal Open Work Permit). It is quicker if you do an Outland application (6-12 months).

Thanks in advance for any help or advise
As far as proof it's not a MOC you hopefully have letters, emails, receipts for gifts etc.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hi Sandra

Congratulations on your engagement! My hubby was my "import" from Scotland back in 2004 and our application was Inland Spousal. He initially entered Canada as a visitor for a 5 months duration, we got married and started the immigration process. We experienced delays due to the PR card being introduced that year and a hiccup with a 5 month wait for RCMP clearance as they were backlogged... so it took our application almost 13 months to completion.

You won't be able to work until a work permit is issued and at that time, you had to wait until AIP (Application in Principal) before that could be submitted. From what I understand, you can now apply for the work permit at the time of submission of the application - I'll let someone with more current knowledge fill you in on that!

In our application, we submitted some date stamped emails, receipts from trips (hotels, airline boarding passes, etc), photos showing us with the person officiating our marriage and from the reception, wedding invitation, copies of cards received for our engagement/marriage, envelopes mailed to us showing both our names, photos from our trips together, a couple letters from friends validating our relationship, phone bill records ... essentially anything that showed we were a bonafide couple.

I, too, have heard that the process goes a lot faster if you are applying from outside of Canada, but we didn't want to be apart after getting married.

I wish you all the best... and if you'd ever like to chat with someone who can relate... feel free to drop me a note!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for the info guys, its a great help.

We will be unable to live together after we get married as we cant support the both of us from his salary alone. When I am over in May we will open a joint bank account and start putting funds into it for when I move over. I Guess I can get letters from friends and family, telephone records, emails, cards etc so that we can prove we are actually in love.

It is such a chame that it so hard to be with someone you love but it will be worth it in the end.

Just another few questions if thats ok, I know its greedy but its great getting as much info as poss!

I never kept any envelopes from the cards, will this matter?
Will the joint bank account help?
Is it advisable to get a lawyer or just fill the forms in together?

Thanks again in advance, you guys have been a great help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.