Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My partner is hopefully coming here to UK on fiance visa. Cos of my circumstances etc - we are going to include a sponsor on top of my earnings etc...

I have choice of 3 people to approach.... 1 of whom I have approached and their reaction is as follows;

They are worried that the baliffs will come knocking on their door. They worry about the implications of sponsoring...

So I am trying to reassure them. "look it is not like you are guarenteeing my partner cos he has bought a new car"... "sponsoring basically means that you are willing to help him so he is not a drain on the country..the reallity is I can and have earned enough to look after both of us we dont really need your help..it is just red tape for the powers that be to see that there will be no claiming of public funds etc.... it is that little extra incase these officials are not happy with what I am earning"

I dont technically earn quite enough BUT when my partner was here before - we never once asked for help off anyone we did ok....

So anywhooo I am writing this wondering if you people might add your tuppence worth....can you help reassure the person I am asking to sponsor? Like I said me and my partner dont need a sponsor for us BUT we need it for the purpose of appeasing the officials... Cheers

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello

My partner is hopefully coming here to UK on fiance visa. Cos of my circumstances etc - we are going to include a sponsor on top of my earnings etc...

I have choice of 3 people to approach.... 1 of whom I have approached and their reaction is as follows;

They are worried that the baliffs will come knocking on their door. They worry about the implications of sponsoring...

So I am trying to reassure them. "look it is not like you are guarenteeing my partner cos he has bought a new car"... "sponsoring basically means that you are willing to help him so he is not a drain on the country..the reallity is I can and have earned enough to look after both of us we dont really need your help..it is just red tape for the powers that be to see that there will be no claiming of public funds etc.... it is that little extra incase these officials are not happy with what I am earning"

I dont technically earn quite enough BUT when my partner was here before - we never once asked for help off anyone we did ok....

So anywhooo I am writing this wondering if you people might add your tuppence worth....can you help reassure the person I am asking to sponsor? Like I said me and my partner dont need a sponsor for us BUT we need it for the purpose of appeasing the officials... Cheers
I had my in laws simply write a letter of support stating they would help us if needed, a copy of their mortgage statement and copies of their passports. It seemed to work :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had my in laws simply write a letter of support stating they would help us if needed, a copy of their mortgage statement and copies of their passports. It seemed to work :)

Hi thanks - to do the sponsor thing we need the "sponsor" to send in bank statements etc... I have said they can send it direct to the solicitor.... for those that arent sponsoring - I have lots of people writing letters and saying they support us and look on my partner as family and they will help if required... It is jsut a worry and such a headache at times :)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
Hi thanks - to do the sponsor thing we need the "sponsor" to send in bank statements etc... I have said they can send it direct to the solicitor.... for those that arent sponsoring - I have lots of people writing letters and saying they support us and look on my partner as family and they will help if required... It is jsut a worry and such a headache at times :)
I think your friend's anxiety is well-founded. While you only want to have them as a safety net and don't intend to impose yourselves on their generosity, the fact is sponsorship undertaking is legally binding, not mere formality, and UKBA do send details of sponsors to DWP so in the event of an immigrant accessing public funds, they can force the sponsor for repayment. Not that it happens often, but the liability is there. So you should tell them the full facts and let them decide whether to sponsor you or not.
See UK Border Agency | ECB12 - Undertakings esp ECB12.3

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think your friend's anxiety is well-founded. While you only want to have them as a safety net and don't intend to impose yourselves on their generosity, the fact is sponsorship undertaking is legally binding, not mere formality, and UKBA do send details of sponsors to DWP so in the event of an immigrant accessing public funds, they can force the sponsor for repayment. Not that it happens often, but the liability is there. So you should tell them the full facts and let them decide whether to sponsor you or not.
See UK Border Agency | ECB12 - Undertakings esp ECB12.3

hello thankyou for that and itis understood - how can that be the case if on a fiance visa he is NOT allowed to work or claim public funds? I was told that was the case and therefore as sponsors we were responsible for his maintenance and accomodation while in UK and if he absconded...worked...tried to claim benefits then it would come back to us as sponsors... basically by spsonsoring we are not only undertaking his maintenance and accomodation needs BUT in a way we are also errr giving our word that this man will not break any rules of the visa etc... All that is a given...but I will let this potential sponsor know that he is also vouching for my partners character/honesty/law abiding blah blah you know what I mean :)

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
hello thankyou for that and itis understood - how can that be the case if on a fiance visa he is NOT allowed to work or claim public funds? I was told that was the case and therefore as sponsors we were responsible for his maintenance and accomodation while in UK and if he absconded...worked...tried to claim benefits then it would come back to us as sponsors... basically by spsonsoring we are not only undertaking his maintenance and accomodation needs BUT in a way we are also errr giving our word that this man will not break any rules of the visa etc... All that is a given...but I will let this potential sponsor know that he is also vouching for my partners character/honesty/law abiding blah blah you know what I mean :)
That's basically true. In fact I haven't heard of any sponsors being made to repay, but the government retains the power to do so. Yes, if someone on a visa tries to claim benefits, they are usually found out as background checks will be made but sometimes people are economical with truth and claims do get through.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's basically true. In fact I haven't heard of any sponsors being made to repay, but the government retains the power to do so. Yes, if someone on a visa tries to claim benefits, they are usually found out as background checks will be made but sometimes people are economical with truth and claims do get through.
Gosh really...... well when my partner was here - he stayed for 6 months on reg visa - we blew his money in a few weeks BUT for the remainder of his time here we managed and NOT once asked for help (except for car help etc haha ) or even thought about doing anything dodgy... Doesnt it just irk you when people break the rules - we are keen to do everything above board cos what we dont want is to be looking over our shoulder... it does not pay to be less than honest.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So is having a sponsor as a backup a good idea? we are right at the income guidelines of 106 pound left ove each week after expenses....should we have one????o.o

·
Registered
39,151 Posts
So is having a sponsor as a backup a good idea? we are right at the income guidelines of 106 pound left ove each week after expenses....should we have one????o.o
Yes, certainly, and just make sure your sponsor understands what they are taking on. £105.95 is the minimum requirement so having a sponsor lined up will strengthen your case.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am having extra sponsor for those reasons BUT as much as anything to show that my family are behind me and look on my partner as a son/brother/uncle etc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.