Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Im a US citizen and work for a US company with the flexibility to work remote and have been looking at options to travel and go country to country for 1-2 months at a time.

Im looking to plan to go to Dubai, but I have a Cisco Voip business phone that I must bring with me and my work laptop.

Do I need to declare this on coming in?
Also will it get confiscated trying to go into the country?
I will not work for a UAE employer, everything would be from my apartment.

I just want to work my US hours and enjoy Dubai on my non work hours then leave and go to the next country.

Nothing will change as far as how I get paid, banking, etc and will be spending using my dollars. Accommodations will be at a Airbnb.

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,903 Posts
Hi,
Few things
You cannot work in the UAE - without the correct type of visa.
THe VOIP phone is unlikely to work here - the local telcos have their own VOIP services and block unapproved ones.
There are workarounds for this - but these are illegal.
Penalties for breaking laws here tend to be much harsher than equivalent penalties in western countries.
Cheers
Steve

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Hi, Im a US citizen and work for a US company with the flexibility to work remote and have been looking at options to travel and go country to country for 1-2 months at a time.

Im looking to plan to go to Dubai, but I have a Cisco Voip business phone that I must bring with me and my work laptop.

I just want to work my US hours and enjoy Dubai on my non work hours then leave and go to the next country.

Nothing will change as far as how I get paid, banking, etc and will be spending using my dollars. Accommodations will be at a Airbnb.
Can understand your desire to work from here however your Cisco phone may be confiscated and even if it isn’t it’s likely that it won’t work.

Interesting how you feel it’s ok to just drop in to Dubai and work ...... I wonder how that would go down if I dropped into the USA and decided to work 😉 ?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Can understand your desire to work from here however your Cisco phone may be confiscated and even if it isn’t it’s likely that it won’t work.

Interesting how you feel it’s ok to just drop in to Dubai and work ...... I wonder how that would go down if I dropped into the USA and decided to work 😉 ?
If someone from outside came to the US to work from their hotel room for a foreign company no one would do anything about it even if caught.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts

My company uses a CISCO system VOIP to communicate with other branches in foreign countries, all going through the local telecoms. I also use the CISCO app Jabber when outside the country to receive calls to my office landline while traveling. I have no idea if your system will work though.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
My company uses a CISCO system VOIP to communicate with other branches in foreign countries, all going through the local telecoms. I also use the CISCO app Jabber when outside the country to receive calls to my office landline while traveling. I have no idea if your system will work though.
In reality now we are in the world of COVID many systems will work from domestic broadband. Not so easy pre COVID when much was blocked or unreliable at best from home when it worked fantastically in the office on a business connection (that you pay a premium for). Teams and Skype for Business is a good example which now works unrestricted domestically for voice, prior to COVID required a corporate (legal) VPN or it was disrupted, more so with Etisalat than Du. Whether things return to the way they were remains to be seen :)

As for bringing in random telecom devices in your luggage, speaking from personal experience customs are sensitive and if found will usually be confiscated unless it is TRA approved or I believe you Can get a TRA permit which you can get for personally imported devices.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
In reality now we are in the world of COVID many systems will work from domestic broadband. Not so easy pre COVID when much was blocked or unreliable at best from home when it worked fantastically in the office on a business connection (that you pay a premium for). Teams and Skype for Business is a good example which now works unrestricted domestically for voice, prior to COVID required a corporate (legal) VPN or it was disrupted, more so with Etisalat than Du. Whether things return to the way they were remains to be seen :)

As for bringing in random telecom devices in your luggage, speaking from personal experience customs are sensitive and if found will usually be confiscated unless it is TRA approved or I believe you Can get a TRA permit which you can get for personally imported devices.
I even had Facetime working the other day without any help. Our CISCO system has been in place over 8 years.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
In reality now we are in the world of COVID many systems will work from domestic broadband. Not so easy pre COVID when much was blocked or unreliable at best from home when it worked fantastically in the office on a business connection (that you pay a premium for). Teams and Skype for Business is a good example which now works unrestricted domestically for voice, prior to COVID required a corporate (legal) VPN or it was disrupted, more so with Etisalat than Du. Whether things return to the way they were remains to be seen

I even had Facetime working the other day without any help. Our CISCO system has been in place over 8 years.
FaceTime has been good for us too .... the FaceTime app has also been restored To UAE Apple devices in the 13.6 update .... things could be changing 🙂

·
Registered
655 Posts
FaceTime has been good for us too .... the FaceTime app has also been restored To UAE Apple devices in the 13.6 update .... things could be changing 🙂
Thats some news, I updated with 13.6 and I dont see Facetime in my device nor in the app store. Am I missing something ?

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Thats some news, I updated with 13.6 and I dont see Facetime in my device nor in the app store. Am I missing something ?
On all of our devices ..... 2 iPhones and 3 iPads it appeared after the update it’s been widely discussed on the apple tech media.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...les-facetime-in-the-united-arab-emirates/amp/

·
Super Moderator
Originally from UK but lived in many countries
6,903 Posts

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
On all of our devices ..... 2 iPhones and 3 iPads it appeared after the update it’s been widely discussed on the apple tech media.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/2...les-facetime-in-the-united-arab-emirates/amp/
Ours too!
It appeared on all our UAE purchased iPhones and iPads after the recent update.
However - our carrier is Du and whilst it is on our phones - it does not seem to work properly.
One step at a time ....... we can’t expect miracles 😃......

Mine has been hit and miss although I don’t use it that much

There was mention that it was an error but I think it would have been rolled back by now if that was the case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts