Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi

Hope you can help,

my parents live in portugal/tavira they have been their for 3 years and have been reciveing freeview sat channels through a sky box
They want to upgrade to sky+ so they can record / pause etc..... but as they don't pay a monthly fee at the moment they want to know what the options are

if i got them a sky+ box from the UK would they be able plug and play

would a freesat+ box work

would a recorder dvd with hdd work in europe

how much is the cheapest sky+ subsciption in portugal

hope you can help

kind regards

Mat

·
Registered
999 Posts
Hi Mat,
Ok here goes.
Sky+ without subscription will not record.
Freesat+ will record.
A PVR HDD recorder will also work.
Legally, you cannot have a Sky subscription in Portugal. Some people (ahem) have their box and bills registered to a UK address, this works, apparently.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Also make sure they use a surge protected power point, a storm the other week blew my PVR hard drive, it is now a very expensive clock.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also make sure they use a surge protected power point, a storm the other week blew my PVR hard drive, it is now a very expensive clock.
Hi Silvers

Many Thanks for your reply ,

They learnt the hard way last year with the 'power / storm / surges when it fried their motherboard ! i got the whole pc replaced free of charge by world telecom though but thats a different story,

I think the DVDR with HDD is the best move worton/jumbo in faro quoted 300euro but i can get one in the UK for £120 and as they are over here for a week i need to move rapid,

will a dvd recorder sync with the existing sky box to record ?
will it be able to pause tv ?
will it conflict if it comes with built in freeview ?

sorry for all the questions if you could help it would be great

Thanks in advance

Regards

Mat

·
Registered
999 Posts
No problem Mat,
Firstly Freeview will obviously not work here, so i don't see that being a problem.
You connect the HDD DVD to both the Sky box and tv, so they will work together.
It will not pause live tv.
James

·
Banned
533 Posts
sky

Hi Mat
Be a where that Sky is starting to track all this dodgy satellites in Europe, and around the world where expats are getting Sky for pennies, (2nd box billed in the UK). Seen some info, on Sky news, the other day about it. Portuguese Sky will start from around 10 Euros a month and it can go up to 60 plus I believe. Normal Sky will might last 6 months or 2 years, who knows how long, will take until they take actions to stop it??
John999

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mat
Be a where that Sky is starting to track all this dodgy satellites in Europe, and around the world where expats are getting Sky for pennies, (2nd box billed in the UK). Seen some info, on Sky news, the other day about it. Portuguese Sky will start from around 10 Euros a month and it can go up to 60 plus I believe. Normal Sky will might last 6 months or 2 years, who knows how long, will take until they take actions to stop it??
John999
Hi Thanks

They paid £300euro from a UK engineer in Tavira 3 years ago , he supplied the box and set the dish up on freeview/free sat , so they just paid a one off fee and only get few channels, so i hope thats not classed as dodgy??

I have bought them a LG dvd recorder with HDD of ebay in UK so they can take it back and use to record programms - fingers crossed it works

Thanks to you both for your advise

Thread closed , until they come back at Christmas with more problems !!

I've told them to join this website , i told them its to know they are not alone !

Kind Regards

Mat

·
Super Moderator
5,067 Posts

Hi

Hope you can help,

my parents live in portugal/tavira they have been their for 3 years and have been reciveing freeview sat channels through a sky box
They want to upgrade to sky+ so they can record / pause etc..... but as they don't pay a monthly fee at the moment they want to know what the options are

if i got them a sky+ box from the UK would they be able plug and play

would a freesat+ box work

would a recorder dvd with hdd work in europe

how much is the cheapest sky+ subsciption in portugal

hope you can help

kind regards

Mat

Hi Mat

If you could send me a PM I would be happy to let you have a good solution for your parents. Do you have Sky in the UK?

·
Banned
533 Posts
sky

That is exactly what I was talking about. The program I saw was about Expats around the world using, 1.4 to 1.6m dishes, with a second box billed to an UK address, (with the card), and you can get sky anywhere. Ours is costing us just over 10 pounds a month, my question is; for how long is that going to work and what it will be the repercussions to our relatives when they start tracking them down??
John999

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there
I have been in Portugal for just over a year and I have found that the best way is to have someone in the UK with a subscription and ask them to get the multiroom package - and additional £10 per month. Then they send the additional box to you. You can record, even get the HD channels (if you pay the extra that is - but they do work!). However, you do need a satellite dish to do this - I think the recommended span is 1.8m, and there are plenty of places here that will supply and install them for you, even though it is not legal to have a Sky subscription here.
Hope this helps.
Leanne

·
Banned
533 Posts
It isn´t legal, we all know that. The question is: how long is that going to work, until our relatives start getting booked??? Do you truly believe that we are more cleaver than them?? Do you realize how many millions of pounds they are losing with this?? Yes I believe that we are the “clever ones”, because we moved abroad. Do you really believe in that???
John999
:confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts