Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help with RPL and MODL

Dear agents (Alan Collet, Veronika or Liana Allan etc) and anyone with useful inputs,

I need your advice on my situation. I am a non-computer science graduate with 4 years of SAP experience. I get confused with RPL assessment and MODL. As per the link on MODL at the Australian Government Immigration website, all I need is for the ACS to provide me with the assessment that I have at least 12 months of experience in SAP. Does this mean that I do not need to go for RPL with ACS? Or do I still require RPL even though I have a skill on the MODL list? It would be of great help if you could provide inputs on this topic. Thanks a ton for your time.

Sameer

PS - Anyone who have inputs on my situation is welcome. It is just that the three mentioned above are well known and respected agents on the forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi Sameer,

Rather than waiting for the agents to contact you (there is also another agent user name pc) it may be quicker to contact them. You can search on their user names (Veronika is SOMV) and contact them through the links in the signatures.

Of course we'd love to know the answer too :)

I'm in IT and I was told that for the skilled independent visa I would need to complete RPL (Recognition of prior learning) since I didn't have a degree in IT, although I had been working in IT for 15 years when I applied for the visa. However since I had been a contractor for the last 6 years before applying it would be difficult to do RPL. Some agents turned me down as soon as they heard I was in IT without a degree. I was lucky in that my husband was also on the MODL list and we got in with him as the first applicant and me as the second applicant.

Back then the ACS approved me easily since I was already a professional member of the British Computer Society but I believe that doesn't help any more.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Sameer,

Rather than waiting for the agents to contact you (there is also another agent user name pc) it may be quicker to contact them. You can search on their user names (Veronika is SOMV) and contact them through the links in the signatures.

Of course we'd love to know the answer too :)

I'm in IT and I was told that for the skilled independent visa I would need to complete RPL (Recognition of prior learning) since I didn't have a degree in IT, although I had been working in IT for 15 years when I applied for the visa. However since I had been a contractor for the last 6 years before applying it would be difficult to do RPL. Some agents turned me down as soon as they heard I was in IT without a degree. I was lucky in that my husband was also on the MODL list and we got in with him as the first applicant and me as the second applicant.

Back then the ACS approved me easily since I was already a professional member of the British Computer Society but I believe that doesn't help any more.

Regards,
Karen
Karen, thanks for the reply. But I am a little confused. You said you were a second applicant on your husband's MODL and you also said "Back then the ACS approved me easily since I was already a professional member of the British Computer Society but I believe that doesn't help any more". So did you go for RPL in the end? Why do you need to go for an assessment when you are not the primary? Or is it so that even the second applicants need to go through the skills assessment process?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need your advice on my situation. I am a non-computer science graduate with 4 years of SAP experience.
Sameer

You can either go through the ACS guidelines carefully, or read the summary I've written here: Ptlabs Consulting - ACS/RPL

If you possess a recognised non-IT degree or diploma, then the minimum number of years in IT you will need is 6 years.

Karen probably went through the ACS process to get spouse points, but you should focus on your own situation.

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then MODL in a fix?

Peter, thanks for your inputs and the link. I need one clarification on MODL. I have a recognized non-IT degree (Operations Research from a top tier US university) and possess about 4.5 years of experience in Oracle Applications. As per the link you have provided, I am a RPL candidate with recognized degree but short of required experience. But at the same time, I have professional full-time work experience in MODL occupation more than what DIAC requires as bare minimum (12 months) for a MODL occupation. What would be the likely outcome if I apply for a skills assessment with ACS? Just your gut instinct based on your experience as an immigration agent is what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Karen, thanks for the reply. But I am a little confused. You said you were a second applicant on your husband's MODL and you also said "Back then the ACS approved me easily since I was already a professional member of the British Computer Society but I believe that doesn't help any more". So did you go for RPL in the end? Why do you need to go for an assessment when you are not the primary? Or is it so that even the second applicants need to go through the skills assessment process?
Hi Sameer,

Peter already answered the question but I thought I would confirm - yes I was getting extra points for being a spouse with qualifications. No I didn't go through RPL as the second applicant since it wasn't needed and would have been too tough to prove since I had been a contractor for so many years.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
33 Posts
I need one clarification on MODL. I have a recognized non-IT degree (Operations Research from a top tier US university) and possess about 4.5 years of experience in Oracle Applications. As per the link you have provided, I am a RPL candidate with recognized degree but short of required experience. What would be the likely outcome if I apply for a skills assessment with ACS?
Sameer

If you apply for an assessment before you have the minimum number of years of IT experience, you will be rejected.

Regards
Peter

·
Registered
2 Posts
IT Experience for RPL

Peter, thanks for your inputs and the link. I need one clarification on MODL. I have a recognized non-IT degree (Operations Research from a top tier US university) and possess about 4.5 years of experience in Oracle Applications. As per the link you have provided, I am a RPL candidate with recognized degree but short of required experience. But at the same time, I have professional full-time work experience in MODL occupation more than what DIAC requires as bare minimum (12 months) for a MODL occupation. What would be the likely outcome if I apply for a skills assessment with ACS? Just your gut instinct based on your experience as an immigration agent is what I am looking for. Thanks a bunch!
Hi Peter,
I have Engineering degree in Electrical & Electronics with a computer course in every year. Does this make it to Group B of the list below. I have 5 years of SAP experience

Australian Computer Society skills assessments
The ACS categorises applicants into four broad categories:
• Group A: Candidates with an IT degree.
• Group B: Candidates with an IT diploma or degree with a minor in IT.
• Group C: Eligible recent IT graduates of Australian universities.

·
Registered
410 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts