Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I need help. I am moving to Hurgarda in May 2010, I'm trying to organise myself in advance. I have thousands of questions but todays one is Will my Sony Bravia TV work in Egypt. Sounds simple but having called Sony and them not being able to help?????? Not sure who will be able to?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
14,309 Posts
Hi,

You can buy Sony televisions here, but I don't want to say that it will work after all I am not a television engineer, why don't you google t.vs in Egypt and see if they sell that particular model?
Televisions are not expensive here so maybe buying one is your best bet.
Good luck with your move
Maiden x

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i think that may be the way forward, why is trying to find anything out about moving there so difficult????? Oh well press on.:)

Hi,

You can buy Sony televisions here, but I don't want to say that it will work after all I am not a television engineer, why don't you google t.vs in Egypt and see if they sell that particular model?
Televisions are not expensive here so maybe buying one is your best bet.
Good luck with your move
Maiden x

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Chris, I think I'm fretting un-necessarily. Also feel quite low as my husband is there and I am stuck here trying to get answers to all my questions. I have just found out from the school that my daughter was going to enrol in that we have to have residency permits, so guess I will spend most of tomorrow hanging on for the egyptian colsulate?? No matter what I seem to google I get useless responses. Deep joy.

It isn't really difficult to move here Micki sometimes I think we make life more difficult than it need be, as a foreigner officials will tend to fall over backwards to help you.

Chris

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Micki we are moving to Hurghada at the end of the month, we've just bought a 32" Sony Bravia in Hurghada and the price was on par with England

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that, will sell my one here and buy there. thats seems to be what I will do with quite a bit of stuff, people seem to say don't bother with electricals so will take that one board

Hi Micki we are moving to Hurghada at the end of the month, we've just bought a 32" Sony Bravia in Hurghada and the price was on par with England

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
How much ??

How much was your TV and where did you buy it from ??
Was is the best connection for expats in Egypt ? Is there Freeview (I guess no) - normal TV aerial TV or Satellite?
What is the best solution to getting Uk TV programs ??

·
Registered
56 Posts
The TV cost £380.00 from the electrical shop near Metro. If you want English soaps then you can sign up for Showtime, the soaps are about 4-5 days behind here

QUOTE=aqua;202512]How much was your TV and where did you buy it from ??
Was is the best connection for expats in Egypt ? Is there Freeview (I guess no) - normal TV aerial TV or Satellite?
What is the best solution to getting Uk TV programs ??[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I'm after a 42 - 47" when I move over after xmas - any idea how much that would be ??
Is showtime on SAT ??? if so how much ??

·
Registered
4 Posts
TV's and Showtime are very minor issues... Do not bring any electrical equipment with you it will cost you more then it's worth, unless you are bring in something like a Dyson vacume cleaner which is not available here. You can find almost everything in Hurghada or Cairo.

As for your daughters residency visa, I doubt the Egyptian consulate will be able to help. Where does you husband work... if he can get a work permit then she can automatically get a non tourist visa from hurghada, which is sufficient. There are various ways around this issue as there are 100's of foreigners living in hurghada with no work permit and with children going to school. Your husband needs to ask around what it the best way for his situation also he should go to the school and they can advise him.

Thanks Chris, I think I'm fretting un-necessarily. Also feel quite low as my husband is there and I am stuck here trying to get answers to all my questions. I have just found out from the school that my daughter was going to enrol in that we have to have residency permits, so guess I will spend most of tomorrow hanging on for the egyptian colsulate?? No matter what I seem to google I get useless responses. Deep joy.

·
Banned
20 Posts
My advice for you Don't Bring (TV , Receivers , Microwaves , etc ) cause everything here In Egypt may Same prices or Cheap then your country

by the way may you put your self to may pay duty and taxes ........

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hello, just seen all this as not been on properly for a while.

I am moving to Hurghada 08/01/2010 and have really seen a change in my perspective since I first started planning in April.

All these questions that you have can only really get sorted once you are there, frustrating but real. Theres lots of British and Europeans over there and most are really helpful.

One thing to consider is how you will get things over, what is essential to take and when.

For example, my brother is coming over about 4 weeks after I go with 2 suitcases for me and I have friends already keen to come and see me so dribs and drabs can come with them.

Shipping stuff over or using DHL etc is more hassle than its worth as you will have to pay to receive your stuff and thats whatever they decide to charge you on the day.

On the plus side, Hurghada is quite developed its not like you can't get things.

Just try and relax, think of what essentials you REALLY need to take over initially and take the rest from there.

All the best to you, feel free to get in touch if you want a chat, any advice or even just to rant x

·
Banned
20 Posts
Hi, I need help. I am moving to Hurgarda in May 2010, I'm trying to organise myself in advance. I have thousands of questions but todays one is Will my Sony Bravia TV work in Egypt. Sounds simple but having called Sony and them not being able to help?????? Not sure who will be able to?:rolleyes:

theres a Web-site shows some Products and Prices here in Egypt its Hyper Market I hope its Help

..::: Carrefour Egypt :::..

I hope i can help ....

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks will have a look. Can I ask you another question, I keep reading different things about opening a bank account in egypt, any advice, it seems HSBC are the best but I didnt really want ties to the UK just want to leave the UK behind obviously if I have to use HSBC then I will but would much prefer to use an egyptian bank - or am I being silly?????:rolleyes:

theres a Web-site shows some Products and Prices here in Egypt its Hyper Market I hope its Help

..::: Carrefour Egypt :::..

I hope i can help ....

·
Banned
20 Posts
thanks will have a look. Can I ask you another question, I keep reading different things about opening a bank account in egypt, any advice, it seems HSBC are the best but I didnt really want ties to the UK just want to leave the UK behind obviously if I have to use HSBC then I will but would much prefer to use an egyptian bank - or am I being silly?????:rolleyes:

ya sure , any time listen i have friends here in Sharm al shaik i asked him for the best bank for foreign he said " CIB Bank " as hes Experience of Market Manager there ..... and sure any bank in Egypt you'll apply its Business

if you need make sure Just PM i'll call them on Monday cause all Banks not working " Friday and Sut. "

about silly you're not and to know i'm here Just for help no more so ask as you like and don't worry i still guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, you can open an account with any Egyptian bank, all you need is your passport, 2 utility bills with your Egyptian address and depending on the bank anything from 2000k to 5000k

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.