Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am due to graduate at the end of this year in Engineering and I am keen to relocate to the UK to pursue a career there in Renewable Energy. I have applied for a few graduate roles already but i believe i am being overlooked because i do not have the work rights without sponsorship. Seems like a vicious circle, can't get a job without the rights and cant get the rights without a job??

I have been referred to the border agency occupational shortage list and note that my field is in demand although this is dated from April 2013 so things may have changed since then.

I am looking for advice on the best way to approach seeking a graduate role in the UK (preferably Scotland) ideally from someone who has already been through this process.

I appreciate any tips from anybody at all that can help me land a graduate job over there.

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
39,153 Posts
Nobody is going to respond to an applicant living overseas, unless it's for an executive position with high remuneration, the sort of jobs advertised in quality newspapers. For a graduate-level job, you need to come over and apply here. You aren't supposed to job-hunt while you are here as a visitor, but can you get ancestry visa (with UK-born grandparent) or Tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa (aged 30 or under, and you haven't used it up)? The first is great as it gives you 5 years in UK with the right to work (no sponsorship required), and the latter is valid for 2 years and again with the right to work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nobody is going to respond to an applicant living overseas, unless it's for an executive position with high remuneration, the sort of jobs advertised in quality newspapers. For a graduate-level job, you need to come over and apply here. You aren't supposed to job-hunt while you are here as a visitor, but can you get ancestry visa (with UK-born grandparent) or Tier 5 youth mobility scheme visa (aged 30 or under, and you haven't used it up)? The first is great as it gives you 5 years in UK with the right to work (no sponsorship required), and the latter is valid for 2 years and again with the right to work.
Thanks for both replies.

Unfortunately i don't meet either requirements. I am a mature aged graduate over 30.
However I do have UK born Great Grandparents, do you know if the ancestry Visa allowance extends that far?

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.