Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm trying to apply for Child Care Benefit in Perth, WA so that I can get my little one into long day care twice a week as that will enable me to attend interviews (I'm looking for work). However, I am finding Centrelink forms very difficult to complete as their wording is very confusing!

E.G. "Are you claiming Family Tax Benefit for your child?"
Uh, well, no, but I want to.
"If not, skip questions 100 - 189"
... but that's the part where you give details about your salary (if any)... how will they know if you are eligible unless you fill out that part? Should I be filling out that part? It asked if I was claiming, and well, currently, I'm not. Or, when they ask "Are you claiming..." do they really mean "are you filling this form out IN ORDER TO CLAIM"? It's all very confusing for me!! Maybe I'm being too literal?

Are there any 'agencies' that help people deal with this type of thing (short of law firms who will charge an arm or a leg). Maybe some kind of 'mediator'?

Thanks for any help/advice!

·
Super Moderator
3,447 Posts
SeahorseCrab said:
Hi guys,

I'm trying to apply for Child Care Benefit in Perth, WA so that I can get my little one into long day care twice a week as that will enable me to attend interviews (I'm looking for work). However, I am finding Centrelink forms very difficult to complete as their wording is very confusing!

E.G. "Are you claiming Family Tax Benefit for your child?"
Uh, well, no, but I want to.
"If not, skip questions 100 - 189"
... but that's the part where you give details about your salary (if any)... how will they know if you are eligible unless you fill out that part? Should I be filling out that part? It asked if I was claiming, and well, currently, I'm not. Or, when they ask "Are you claiming..." do they really mean "are you filling this form out IN ORDER TO CLAIM"? It's all very confusing for me!! Maybe I'm being too literal?

Are there any 'agencies' that help people deal with this type of thing (short of law firms who will charge an arm or a leg). Maybe some kind of 'mediator'?

Thanks for any help/advice!
Yes, they are asking if you are lodging a claim for the tax benefit. I agree, the wording is a bit ambiguous but when you see "are you claiming so and so" on a form, it generally means, "are you requesting so and so". In this case, you would tick yes.

If you are having problems completing the form, you could contact Centrelink for advice or barring that, you could contact your local migrant support centre, as they are pretty familiar with these forms.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much for your help! I've been to CentreLink 3 times in person and they just haven't been very helpful... or I wouldn't have resorted to Expat Forum! haha! Thanks so much for your advice :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts