Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if anyone can weigh in on this...

I have a potential employer who is saying they would love to hire me but... even though I have a Carte de Sejour "Toutes activites prefessionnelles" because I'm not an EU citizen it still requires them to go to prefecture and file paperwork, which they don't have time to do.

I've always understood that the CdS made the process the same since I have a social security # and am in fact registered as an auto-entrepreneur.

(As an aside they also say they can't keep employing me as an auto-entrepreneur if they are my only customer and I am to be employed for more than a couple of months)

Does any of this sound right??

·
Administrator
49,446 Posts
The thing about having to file with the prefecture sounds like an excuse to me. Once you have a carte de séjour that grants you working privileges, you should be set to go as far as working.

If they are employing you as an auto-entrepreneur, then they aren't actually employing you at all - you are billing them for your services. In some countries, it's a problem if you're "self employed" but working only for a single customer - but I haven't heard any problem with that here in France.

It usually relates to an employer looking to get out of paying social insurances, etc. by calling employees "contractors." In France, as an auto-entrepreneur, you're responsible for reporting your revenue and paying your cotisations and taxes on it. If you've got any other sort of arrangement going with your potential employer, that is probably the source of the difficulty.
Cheers,
Bev

PS One other consideration - being cleared to work in "toutes activités professionnelles" is one thing, but check to see that your carte de séjour isn't limited to your auto-entrepreneur job, nor to any other specific employer or physical location within France.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Do a search on the auto entrepeneur. There are different classifications and this might have something to do with the way you are classified.

My understanding is that depending on the job, the potential employer might have to file paperwork justifying hiring a non-French citizen. I may not be correct on this, though.

I'm here on a dependent visa (my husband has a job here) and have been doing some research into how I might be able to get employed. It won't be an easy road for me, that's for sure.

Bonne chance.

Wondering if anyone can weigh in on this...

I have a potential employer who is saying they would love to hire me but... even though I have a Carte de Sejour "Toutes activites prefessionnelles" because I'm not an EU citizen it still requires them to go to prefecture and file paperwork, which they don't have time to do.

I've always understood that the CdS made the process the same since I have a social security # and am in fact registered as an auto-entrepreneur.

(As an aside they also say they can't keep employing me as an auto-entrepreneur if they are my only customer and I am to be employed for more than a couple of months)

Does any of this sound right??

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First and foremost thanks to dijid & Bevdeforges for your input, much appreciated.

I agree that it sounds like an excuse... furthermore to get the info straight from the horse's mouth I called the 06 prefecture and once they eventually got around to answering the phone told me that they couldn't see what extra steps would be required as my CdS is "CE - membre de famille" since I am married to an EU citizen.

Any additional suggestions before I call them out on their excuse mongering?

·
Administrator
49,446 Posts
The one thing they might be hiding is the fact that they don't really want to hire you at all. If you get a CDI (full term permanent contract) then they have to pay the employer's share of all your cotisations and it can be much more difficult to get rid of you.

If you remain a contractor/vendor through your auto-entrepreneur set-up, there's no additional cost to them and anytime they want to stop paying for your services, they just tell you to get lost.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The one thing they might be hiding is the fact that they don't really want to hire you at all. If you get a CDI (full term permanent contract) then they have to pay the employer's share of all your cotisations and it can be much more difficult to get rid of you.

If you remain a contractor/vendor through your auto-entrepreneur set-up, there's no additional cost to them and anytime they want to stop paying for your services, they just tell you to get lost.
Cheers,
Bev

I think you're right on this one... I went back and asked them to confirm exactly what they thought the issue was so that I could have the prefecture address the specifics of it and guess what.... *crickets*

In the end, I don't have a problem with staying as an auto-entrepreneur although I've never actually seen where its written in the official a-e rules or on the a-e site that you are prohibited from renewing the same contract more than a couple of times. A couple of people have suggested to me its in fact a technicality and as long as you change the description of duties in your contract its not an issue.

Any ideas on that one?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.