Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm in a process of filing citizenship application. I would be grateful if I can get some help with following:
  1. Do I need to include National Identity card ? I'm not sure if I even have one (Nepal).
  2. My daughter was born offshore and came to Australia when she was 8 years old. What do I answer for - Has this child ever held citizenship of any country? She has birth registration and passport from birth country but no citizenship certificate, so to speak.
  3. What about my child who is born in Australia. Is it fair to say he helds Australian citizenship although we don't have any certificate, so to speak ?
  4. For countries visited in last 10 years, do I include my home country if I haven't been outside Australia since migrating here.
  5. I have mentioned that I don't intend to depart Australia within the next 12 months. Does this mean I can't travel for a year even in unforseen circumstances and emergencies ?
  6. For identity documents / evidence of date of birth and birth name, I have listed mine and my daughter's birth certificate. But the birth certificates issued in my country don't mention the child's name. Does the birth certificate must contain name? Or do I use some other document, e.g. passport?
  7. What evidence of first arrival in Australia do I provide? There is no stamping in the passport as everything was checked and verified electronically on entry.
  8. In the list of required documents, there is one for Custody, Evidence of. Is this the one from my wife? Is there a template or a sample of what it would look like?
  9. Lastly, my daughter's passport has just expired. Can I use it nevertheless as supporting document and for identification?
Thank you in advance for taking time to help me out here.

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi,
I'm in a process of filing citizenship application. I would be grateful if I can get some help with following:
  1. Do I need to include National Identity card ? I'm not sure if I even have one (Nepal).
  2. My daughter was born offshore and came to Australia when she was 8 years old. What do I answer for - Has this child ever held citizenship of any country? She has birth registration and passport from birth country but no citizenship certificate, so to speak.
  3. What about my child who is born in Australia. Is it fair to say he helds Australian citizenship although we don't have any certificate, so to speak ?
  4. For countries visited in last 10 years, do I include my home country if I haven't been outside Australia since migrating here.
  5. I have mentioned that I don't intend to depart Australia within the next 12 months. Does this mean I can't travel for a year even in unforseen circumstances and emergencies ?
  6. For identity documents / evidence of date of birth and birth name, I have listed mine and my daughter's birth certificate. But the birth certificates issued in my country don't mention the child's name. Does the birth certificate must contain name? Or do I use some other document, e.g. passport?
  7. What evidence of first arrival in Australia do I provide? There is no stamping in the passport as everything was checked and verified electronically on entry.
  8. In the list of required documents, there is one for Custody, Evidence of. Is this the one from my wife? Is there a template or a sample of what it would look like?
  9. Lastly, my daughter's passport has just expired. Can I use it nevertheless as supporting document and for identification?
Thank you in advance for taking time to help me out here.
1. No need
2. Birth certificate and passport is sufficient
3. Have you got a passport for your son ?
4. include home country visits
5. You can
6. A birth certificate without the child’s and parents name is useless
Can you get a fresh certificate issued which has both?
7. You can get your electronic travel records from DHA.
It’s a free and you don’t have to pay for it
8. It’s a simple letter from your wife that she has no objection if the child is included in your application
9. Yes.. you can
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi NB,
Please see the comment in red.

1. No need
3. Have you got a passport for your son ? No, my son doesn't have a passport yet although I have his birth certificate. So, is it still fair to say he helds Australian citizenship?
4. include home country visits But I haven't visited home country since migrating.Do I include the time spent before migrating?
5. You can
Can you get a fresh certificate issued which has both? Birth certificate has parents name but not the child. Thats just the way birth certificate are issued in my home country. I really doubt I can get that document re-issued with birth name, atleast without me being there personally (which I can't). Can I use any other document like passport as identity documents / evidence of date of birth and birth name.
8. It’s a simple letter from your wife that she has no objection if the child is included in your application
9. Yes.. you can

Thank you for your insight.

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi NB,
Please see the comment in red.

1. No need
3. Have you got a passport for your son ? No, my son doesn't have a passport yet although I have his birth certificate. So, is it still fair to say he helds Australian citizenship?
4. include home country visits But I haven't visited home country since migrating.Do I include the time spent before migrating?
5. You can
Can you get a fresh certificate issued which has both? Birth certificate has parents name but not the child. Thats just the way birth certificate are issued in my home country. I really doubt I can get that document re-issued with birth name, atleast without me being there personally (which I can't). Can I use any other document like passport as identity documents / evidence of date of birth and birth name.
9. Yes.. you can

Thank you for your insight.
3. No
You have to get a citizenship certificate for him from Dha
Only then he can claim to be a citizen and can apply for a passport
4. If you have to give last 10 year records, then you have to include home visits also
6. It depends on case to case. You can try your luck with the passport
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi NB,

3. No

So, for the sake of this application, do I say that my son is not a citizen of Australia (although he is born here, we haven't applied for citizenship certificate from DHA yet) ?

Thanks

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi NB,

3. No

So, for the sake of this application, do I say that my son is not a citizen of Australia (although he is born here, we haven't applied for citizenship certificate from DHA yet) ?

Thanks
It takes 7 days to get the citizenship certificate
Why you would not want to apply and prefer to complicate your application is beyond me
Consult a Mara agent
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks NB.

Didn't know this would complicate the application. Its not just about 7 days (if that is how long it takes) to get the citizenship certificate, but I have to get birth certificate first and all this will delay my application. I was mistaken and thought birth registration was enough. Anyways, it is what it is. I really appreciate your insight on all this.

Cheers !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi NB,
I was filling in my parents details and found out that there is a mistake in my father's D.O.B in the Form 80 when I applied for my PR. Is this document referenced to when assessing my citizenship application? Do I need to provide explanation ?

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi NB,
I was filling in my parents details and found out that there is a mistake in my father's D.O.B in the Form 80 when I applied for my PR. Is this document referenced to when assessing my citizenship application? Do I need to provide explanation ?
Give the correct date this time as citizenship applications are scrutinised more thoroughly then PR
You can always explain that it was a typo if in an unlikely event you are asked
You got no benefit from giving his wrong date earlier
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi NB,

For Custody, Evidence of you've suggested a simple letter from my wife that she has no objection if the child is included in my application. From the list below, what would be the type of this document:
  • Adoption Document
  • Birth Certificate
  • Court Document
  • Custody/Access Document
  • Customary Adoption
  • Family Book/Household Booklet/Family Composition Evidence
  • Legal Will
  • Letter/Statement - Adoption Allocation
  • Other (specify)
Regards,
Ashish

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi NB,

For Custody, Evidence of you've suggested a simple letter from my wife that she has no objection if the child is included in my application. From the list below, what would be the type of this document:
  • Adoption Document
  • Birth Certificate
  • Court Document
  • Custody/Access Document
  • Customary Adoption
  • Family Book/Household Booklet/Family Composition Evidence
  • Legal Will
  • Letter/Statement - Adoption Allocation
  • Other (specify)
Regards,
Ashish
Custody/access documents
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi NB,

One more question. I have had two low range speeding tickets (under 10K) which I have paid. Do I still need to declare those in

"Has the applicant been convicted of, or found guilty of, any offences overseas or in Australia (include all traffic offences which went to court, including offences declared in your permanent residence application, and any 'spent' convictions)?"

Cheers

·
Registered
24,742 Posts
Hi NB,

One more question. I have had two low range speeding tickets (under 10K) which I have paid. Do I still need to declare those in

"Has the applicant been convicted of, or found guilty of, any offences overseas or in Australia (include all traffic offences which went to court, including offences declared in your permanent residence application, and any 'spent' convictions)?"

Cheers
It’s a grey area
Some declare some dont
Many times, during interviews they ask specifically if you had any traffic infringement
You have to decide
Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It’s a grey area
Some declare some dont
Many times, during interviews they ask specifically if you had any traffic infringement
You have to decide
Cheers
I think I’ll declare just in case and put in a bit of explanation that there were no convictions and never went to court. Thanks NB for all your support. You’ve been a legend in this journey of mine. Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts