Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like any advice any one can offer or just a little information.
My husband and I are South African, yet I have British Citizenship through my parents. We moved to the UK in 2006 and got married there in 2007, following all the regulations (He went on a working holiday visa, we applied for a certificate to get married, he returned to South Africa until the spousal visa was approved and we plan to renew or follow the next step when the time comes)
We left the UK in January 2009 for South Africa and now want to travel and work in Europe.
I just want to know if it is possible for him to travel and work in Europe without any other visa, just the UK spousal?

Please help, I am already in Europe and would really like him with me!

·
Administrator
50,384 Posts
I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect the issue you will run into is one of residence. If you're currently considered "resident" in South Africa, your husband is going to have to apply for a visa in order to return "for the long term."
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
As a spouse of an EU national, it's relatively easy for your husband to go and live with you in an EU country other than UK, as EU regulations take precedence over local law. Under them you have absolute right to live in another EU state and take up employment, and you also have the right to be accompanied by your husband and any other dependents. You need to inquire at the nearest consulate of the EU country you propose to live in to find out visa requirements for your husband. It should be straightforward (if visa procedure can be described as such!), but exact requirements vary frm state to state, and you shouldn't have to pay for it.
Whether your husband is allowed to work is another matter - he has no right as such under EU rule (you are supposed to pay for his upkeep), but some countries do allow it, often after a time. After 6 months living and working in another EU member state, you then have the right to bring your husband over to UK to live, under Surinder Singh sule. You apply for an EEA Family Permit at the nearest British consulate/embassy (issued free), which allows him to live in UK for 5 years, with the right to work, after which he can apply for permanent residency (ILR).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts