Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our story is kind of sad and we just want a happy ending. We need advice from people who know or have been in our shoes.

Let me start.

My boyfriend and I met in Canada June 2012. He was in the British army training when we met. He had to go back to England in July. I applied for a two year work visa and got to the UK Jan 2013. I lived there until Nov 2014 when I had to move back to Canada. We planned for him to come on a youth visa as well and he had a flight booked April 2015. He had issues at border and we were not aware his small criminal record would be an issue still as it was over 5 years ago and he has been in Canada with the Army. Since we have been to Mexico to meet up but we need help.

He cannot apply for rehabilitation to have his record cleared till April 2016 so Canada is off the table. However I am up for going to England and we would like to get married. Now how much do I have to have save to prove I can support myself for 6 months while on the visitor visa. Also he has not been working on paper for over 6 months as he just got his job so how can he prove he can support me?

I was hoping to go to the UK this fall.

We need help with options on what we can do or how to get married. Anything helps to get us together <3

Any suggestions, comments, ideas, questions feel free!

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
You can't get married on a visitor visa in the UK. Have you considered marrying in a tertiary country? The US would make it a relatively simple and short process.

He would need £62,500 in order to support you based on savings alone

Otherwise it's probably better to wait until he's been officially employed for six months. Does he make over £18,600 a year?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
You can't get a UK spouse visa until your intended has been working for at least six months making at least £18,600 per year or you have £64,000 untouched for six months.

There are no loopholes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
You can't get married on a visitor visa in the UK. Have you considered marrying in a tertiary country? The US would make it a relatively simple and short process.
I know I cant get married on a visitor visa. The uS would not work again cause of his criminal record unless we do a trip there and dont mention it but what would be the steps for marrying in the US?

EDIT: ahh £62,500? okay we may have to wait till he's been employed for 6 months he does make that amount

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can't get a UK spouse visa until your intended has been working for at least six months making at least £18,600 per year or you have £64,000 untouched for six months.

There are no loopholes.
So I have to have atleast 64k saved and untouched? or he has to be making that amount for atleast 6 months? may just have to wait then

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
So I have to have atleast 64k saved and untouched? or he has to be making that amount for atleast 6 months? may just have to wait then
Its either:

He works at a job earning 18,600 GBP per annum for 6 months and then applies for the visa

OR

You have 62,500 GBP in savings/investments which have been under your (his/yours or joint) control for 6 months or more

As an alternative you can also use savings to make up any shortfall if his job does not earn 18,600 per annum

Read the following document carefully to see how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...pendix_FM_Annex_1_7_Financial_Requirement.pdf

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay so another idea is he is working now and making over that amount we just need 6 months total. Is there somewhere we could get married besides the UK/Canada so when he has 6 months we can just get the spouse visa instead?

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
Basically, anywhere in the EU... he can travel within the EU without restriction.

Paris is lovely, if you've not been, as is Spain and Italy.

Also, if you're wanting to have him come to Canada, I'd think about starting to get his paperwork, as well as your own in order soon (i.e. in 6-8 months time)... it's going to take close to 3 years for him to get to Canada if he applies from the UK... there are two phases to your sponsoring him. The first phase is your application, which can take about 3 months to ajudicate. After you've been cleared by Ottawa, it'll be another 29 months before a decision is made on his application.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Basically, anywhere in the EU... he can travel within the EU without restriction.

Paris is lovely, if you've not been, as is Spain and Italy.

Also, if you're wanting to have him come to Canada, I'd think about starting to get his paperwork, as well as your own in order soon (i.e. in 6-8 months time)... it's going to take close to 3 years for him to get to Canada if he applies from the UK... there are two phases to your sponsoring him. The first phase is your application which can take about 3 months. After you've been cleared by Ottawa, it'll be another 29 months before a decision is made on his application.
So we can marry anywhere in the EU? I was thinking amsterdam as canadians can get a one year working visa there right away.

Also as for Canada we were thinking when time comes he can apply for IEC and come work for 2 years, would that work while we get him sponsored? Would it be faster as he would be in Canada?

·
Super Moderator
18,072 Posts
Please don't post the same question on multiple threads.

You'll have to research individual countries to see what the requirements are and whether a criminal record prevents him from entering the country. If it's an issue in Canada then it may well be an issue in other countries.

Edit: You'll get a better response to your Canadian questions on the Canada forum.

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
As long as you follow local Dutch laws (assuming you can get a work permit), there's nothing stopping you from getting married there.

I would imagine that IEC would be a way to get him into Canada... when I wrote the above, I was imagining that you'd be filing a spousal application from London.

If you were to apply from the Netherlands, the application is sent to Vienna, Austria and that office is currently taking 16 months to process the Applicant's paperwork (this is after you get the go-ahead from Ottawa).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Please don't post the same question on multiple threads.

You'll have to research individual countries to see what the requirements are and whether a criminal record prevents him from entering the country. If it's an issue in Canada then it may well be an issue in other countries.

Edit: You'll get a better response to your Canadian questions on the Canada forum.
Sorry I thought other ones were more situation specific, my bad.

I am aware his criminal record can stop him from entering a lot of countries I was more looking into european options or vacation spots where they don't always ask/check for criminal record

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As long as you follow local Dutch laws (assuming you can get a work permit), there's nothing stopping you from getting married there.

I would imagine that IEC would be a way to get him into Canada... when I wrote the above, I was imagining that you'd be filing a spousal application from London.

If you were to apply from the Netherlands, the application is sent to Vienna, Austria and that office is currently taking 16 months to process the Applicant's paperwork (this is after you get the go-ahead from Ottawa).
Ah that is great thank you :) !!

·
Super Moderator
1,861 Posts
Okay so another idea is he is working now and making over that amount we just need 6 months total. Is there somewhere we could get married besides the UK/Canada so when he has 6 months we can just get the spouse visa instead?
Denmark is very straightforward in that regard.

I got married there because getting married to a non-EEA citizen in Germany would have been a lengthy, expensive nightmare.

This is where I got married:

Marriage

There are lots of places all over Denmark that sometimes even offer romantic honeymoon packages to go with it. We DIY-ed ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Denmark is very straightforward in that regard.

I got married there because getting married to a non-EEA citizen in Germany would have been a lengthy, expensive nightmare.

This is where I got married:

Marriage

There are lots of places all over Denmark that sometimes even offer romantic honeymoon packages to go with it. We DIY-ed ;)
This is amazing!! Thank you, and getting married in Denmark is recognized by both UK and Canadian marriage laws? We want to get married to make things easier to work and live in UK but our actual wedding for family/friends we would do later on. This would work if I live/stay in amsterdam till he gets 6 months work

·
Registered
340 Posts
If he is working here for six months, why not just come over on a fiancé visa and then apply for a spouse visa once you are married? Why do you need to get married outside the UK?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.