Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends,
I cleared an interview in a french company. I am not able to do the tax calculations to request for a salary and i find it very confusing.
If i ask a gross salary (72,000 euro)
I like to know
(1)how much will i earn on monthly basis after all the tax deductions.
(2)Will there be any additional yearly taxes above monthly deductions.

(3) If i need to get a salary of 4000 euros in hand monthly after all tax deductions, how much should i ask for gross salary.

I am married and wife doesn't work.

Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Administrator
51,591 Posts
The only "tax deductions" taken out of your monthly pay are those for cotisations - social insurances. Income tax is settled up well after the end of the calendar year and is between you and the Fisc. Your employer doesn't get involved at all.

Cotisations run about 20 to 25% of your gross pay - depending a bit on how much you're paying for your mutuelle (cost of which is shared with the employer). Also, although all the other cotisations are calculated strictly based on your income, the mutuelle is a set amount per person covered. So, you'll presumably be paying two mutuelle premiums - one for yourself and one for your wife.

To get a rough understanding of the French income tax system, try here: http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/deploiement/p1/fichedescriptive_1006/fichedescriptive_1006.pdf (Just the section on income taxes). It's a bit out of date, but does a nice job of explaining the general principles. Bascially, for income tax purposes, your "taxable income" starts with your take home income (i.e. gross income less most of your cotisations).

Other taxes include: Taxe d'habitation (a sort of property tax on where you live, whether you own or rent), Taxe foncière (property tax on your residence if you own it), VAT (called TVA in France - 20% on most everything you buy - and the government's main source of revenue to run the country with).
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bevdeforges. It will very helpful for me if you can give me a rough figure which will give me a monthly take home of 4000 euro's (after tax). This is bit urgent as i have to give a figure to the employer. I will be renting a flat say around 850-1000 euros/ month. Only one dependent on me( my wife is not working).

·
Administrator
51,591 Posts
The 72,000 € annual figure you noted gives you 6,000€ a month - and if you figure 25% in cotisations withheld, that will give you 4500€ in take home pay each month.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So considering income tax settlement at the end of year around 4200 euros, i can achieve 4100 euros / per month (rounded figure) i think. Thank you very much.

·
Administrator
51,591 Posts
I won't vouch for the income tax figure - I'm in the midst of pulling our declaration together and my head is kind of spinning with tax trivia. But if you're happy with how you got the figure, then yes, it all looks pretty reasonable.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
3 Posts
So considering income tax settlement at the end of year around 4200 euros, i can achieve 4100 euros / per month (rounded figure) i think. Thank you very much.
I was browsing around with a similar question to yours. I had accepted an offer of 75000 euros gross income in France and I would like to sort out my take-home pay. I have two dependents and my wife does not work. In fact, my wife does not appear anywhere in the fiscal system in France as she might stay back in London. I guess this might complicate things. After doing similar calculations, I figure out that there are another 4000 euros in taxes per year (for a family with dependent kids) on top of social security deductions. This brings the take-home pay close to 4353 euros per month. Is that a reasonable number to consider based our your experience? Thanks a lot in advance.

·
Administrator
51,591 Posts
This is a rather old thread. You might do better either starting your own thread or finding a much more recent one. The tax rules have changed by quite a bit in the 6 or so years since this was posted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts