Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me or calm my nerves. So here's my worry, I have recently sent in my application to the UK embassy in NY using the settlement priority service (I carefully followed Worldbridge's instructions). According to the UPS next day delivery confirmation, my package was received at the embassy and signed for by someone in the mail room (name known) on the 1st of December. I am yet to receive an email notifying me that my documents have been received. While I did not necessarily expect a decision in 4 days, I expected that they'd acknowledge receipt as I have been accustomed to in the past.

I worry because, in the past when I have applied for a UK (non-settlement) visa and used the priority service, they sent me an email confirming receipt and thereafter, emails regarding my visa application (which was granted). Should I be worried that I have not received an email confirming receipt of my documents even though it was delivered 4days ago and I paid the $300 fee? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thank you all for your time!

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could advise me or calm my nerves. So here's my worry, I have recently sent in my application to the UK embassy in NY using the settlement priority service (I carefully followed Worldbridge's instructions). According to the UPS next day delivery confirmation, my package was received at the embassy and signed for by someone in the mail room (name known) on the 1st of December. I am yet to receive an email notifying me that my documents have been received. While I did not necessarily expect a decision in 4 days, I expected that they'd acknowledge receipt as I have been accustomed to in the past.

I worry because, in the past when I have applied for a UK (non-settlement) visa and used the priority service, they sent me an email confirming receipt and thereafter, emails regarding my visa application (which was granted). Should I be worried that I have not received an email confirming receipt of my documents even though it was delivered 4days ago and I paid the $300 fee? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Thank you all for your time!
It took over 7 business days if I remember correctly before I got an email stating that my application had been received. Some applicants in fact never received a confirmation email until they got the email stating that their application was with an ECO. I know it's a stressful time, believe me, but rest assured they have your application and it is in the queue. Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leanna,

Thank you for your response! Your message makes me feel better, I still worry, but a little less. Perhaps now I don't have to check my email every second.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Hi Leanna,

Thank you for your response! Your message makes me feel better, I still worry, but a little less. Perhaps now I don't have to check my email every second.
On believe me, the months I waited for my fiance(e) visa were most definitely the more stressful time of my life! I understand the stress and the constant worry, really. Good luck and try to get some rest and some relaxation! :)

·
Super Moderator
5,184 Posts
I'd agree with Leanna. I applied in July of last year and I took 6 calendar days from receipt of the application (which they never acknowledged... I tracked it via DHL) for them to tell me that it was being organised for adjudication. Then I heard nothing until a decision had been made 13 calendar days later (non priority was taking 3 weeks back then).

Good luck to you! :)

Reactions: Sphene and Leanna

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
All settlement applications must be sent to Sheffield England. The information on WB site is wrong. Hopefully your package will be sent on to England and on arrival you get confirmation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi Joppa,

I did come across this and was thinking that I had to send my settlement application to Sheffield. But it does have special instructions for applicants applying from the US and two other countries, I believe. We are to send to whatever location that is specified on the printed online application that must be signed and mailed with the packet.

In my case, it was specified that the issuing embassy will be UK embassy NY. Has anyone had to send their settlement application to NY?

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
You are wrong. There is misleading instruction on WB site but it says clearly on UKBA US site. There was a long debate on it here but the conclusion is clear. You should have sent to Sheffield, and you are now reliant on their discretion to do so. Those who have sent to NYC have had their packages transferred to Sheffield at no extra cost, but we don't know how long they will continue doing so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, I am not disputing your knowledge. Trust me, I too was convinced I had to send it to Sheffield.

See below for what I received:
SETTLEMENT APPLICATIONS should be sent to: International Operations and Visas, 6 Millsands, Vulcan House, Sheffield, S3 8NH, United Kingdom.

But then in the same email it stated:

You must now take your printed application, supporting documents and the appropriate fee (unless paid on-line with this application) to the address shown below on the agreed date and time of your appointment. If you are in the United States of America, Australia or New Zealand you must SEND these documents to the visa issuing office shown on your printed copy of your application form. No personal callers will be admitted to the visa office location. Your application will not be accepted at any other location. Failure to submit documents will result in a delay and/or lead to the refusal of your application.

British Consulate General New York
845 Third Avenue
10th Floor
New York New York

So my printed application tells me that I must send to New York.

It is stated in my application, under the application for UK Entry Clearance Form, that verifies my payment fee for the visa. I have a copy on me and I quote

"Visa Application Submission Location"
Submission Method: By Mail
Visa Application Location: British Consulate New York.

Furthermore, on my VAF4A form, it also states: Issuing Office: British Consulate General New York.

Additionally, the email I received from Worldbridge after paying the settlement fee also states:

"Listed here is the name and address of your visa application submission location"

New York British Consulate Visa Section
845 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022

So if its a mistake, that would be on the embassy and not on me. As I followed their instructions to a T.

Also, I have browsed through posts (the thread you posted about visa application timeline), although many have to send their applications to Sheffield. I think I came across a few that had to send to NY.

Has any applicant from the US had to send their applications to NY?

I reckon it is done at random. I will however agree that the information they offer is highly contradictory. Certainly does not make my wait easier :(.

·
Super Moderator
18,073 Posts
As has already been stated, US settlement applications are to be sent to Sheffield. Posts referring to sending information to the UK consulate in NYC are either outdated or not referring to US settlement applications. All you can do now is wait and hope that they will forward your application to Sheffield.

·
Registered
39,103 Posts
I am 100% right and you are wrong. Those misleading instructions on WB site have led some to send their applications to NYC, who as far as we know have had their package transferred to Sheffield by UKBA, but purely as a gesture of good will.
The only people who can personally deliver the settlement applications to NY consulate are approved visa agents, like A Briggs, who for a fee can do it for you.
Another question for you is have you enclosed return waybill from Sheffield back to your home address, with fees being charged to your account with courier companies like FedEx and DHL? If not, they won't send your documents and passport back until you send them a waybill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok. Thanks. I guess the wait begins. I will follow up and post an update when I receive news.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there. I applied from NY for settlement as you did. Sent it via FedEx because the employees of UPS in my area had no idea how to do return shipping and my local USPS told me they no longer provide the service due to lack of demand.
Anyhow, it was sent on Friday Nov. 29th, got there that Monday and I got an email the same day. Today I got an email saying a decision has been made... Eek we didn't do priority so I am nervous on how quickly they processed it.
I think you should try to contact the NY office which probably received your application and send it to Sheffield.
Don't worry, it will be ok, I kept cursing the stupid site for its lack of structure, my UK hubby was laughing at me... but it is true, it is a bit all over the place, one page says one thing, another says something else.
Good Luck to you and definitely keep us posted! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

My visa was issued on December 19th :) :). Thank you all for your advise and help. I meant to write earlier but the holiday came along...y'all know how that goes. I will write another post soon about my process, hopefully it can help someone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.