Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking for opinions or useful advice regarding B2 visa application for my partner and I and our likelyhood of success. We are looking to leave the UK in January 2016.

In summary my partner and I are looking to apply for B2 visas, reason is we now own a boat/yacht in the US (currently located in Georgia) and wish to spend time on her cruising US and Caribbean Waters but always returning to US to leave the boat when we return to the UK.

The periods we will be in the US are longer than is permitted by simply using our ESTA's and we would be happier if we could potentially renew whilst in the US rather than having to leave and re-enter the country.

We are both in our fifties have property in the UK with a mortage and family (no children) here in the UK. I have a brother my partner has her mother.

We do not have jobs to return to as we have always had our own company.

Understand the major issue that affects people looking for a visa is that the US authorites are paranoid about people looking to work rather than just visit for pleasure. We do not want to work we just want a little more flexibility than an ESTA provides to enjoy our new life on our yacht.

As I said the boat/yacht is in the US, sales and property tax have been paid and the vessel is registered in the state of Georgia, all of which I can prove. I also have a US Bank account and income coming from the UK to the US regularly to support us whilst we are travelling.

I have been travelling to the US very regularly for over 20 years and did hold a visitors visa for the US in the late 80. This was "cancelled without predudice" after 911, as understand this was the case for many people. My partner has been to the states with me a number of times in the last ten years.

I also have cousins in Florida with whom we will be staying whilst not on the boat, they both have dual nationality and have been resident in the US for 35years. They are happy to help if that would be of use?

We neither of us have criminal records or comunicable diseases and are of good standing.

Tips on the completion of the application form would be useful as would advice on the interview process.

I don't see that we will have any issues with our application but as it is a pivotal part of our plans I want to make sure that I don't fall into any unforeseen trap.

Hopefully there is good advice on here and I look forward to your input.

Kind regards

Richard & Gill

·
Registered
6,370 Posts
ESTA cannot be extended past 90 days

Propertyownership in the US has no bearing on US visa polic; neither does extended family. To split hairs - unless it is part of a business related or Affidavit of Support situation.

Be honest during your interview. Bring whatever cou can that shows ties to the Uk.

You have had the boat registered and insured in GA for a while?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
We do not have jobs to return to as we have always had our own company.
Unless I misunderstood then you do have jobs to go to. Are you not employed by said company? And if the company still exists, even if you're not employed by it you could become so (hint)? And the company could provide evidence that you have a job to return to ... (more hint)?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Can you do the job that you are doing for your company (self-employed) do from the US? Or can you prove that you need to be present physically in the UK do practice your job?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
With regard to proving a need to return I have the following;

Two properties, one with a mortgage. Two cars registered and taxed in the UK and some family ties.

With regard to work we are both freelancers and use our company as a tax vehicle. We were going to wind up our company before we left as it is the most prudent move tax wise but it could remain active if that might be benificial?

I have just discovered that an ESTA is only valid for entry and exit from the country by an approved carrier and that were we to leave the US and retuinr on our yacht we would require a visa to check in. This makes the aquisition of a B2 visa pivotal to our plans.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts