Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Expats!

I am planning to visit my husband, who is on subclass 485 temporary graduate visa in australia, on a visitor visa in next month. I am hoping to get an invite for our PR tomorrow, so we are planning to apply for subclass 189 visa while I will be in Australia on my visitor visa. He is the primary applicant.
My questions are:
1. Can I get bridging visa on the expiring of my visitor visa as I will be onshore while applying for 189 visa?
2. Can this move create some impact on the processing time of our subclass 189 visa?
3. Do I need to be in my usual country of residence when I get my PR grant? As I have heard that otherwise, my PR will become invalid.
4. Do I separately need to apply for bridging visa or will it come in effect by itself on expiring of my visitor visa?

I know it is a long list of questions, but your help in this regard would be highly appreciated as I need to plan everything according to this.

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
From what I know, you can apply when onshore with the visitor visa even if it comes with 8503 No Further Stay condition, but best would be to verify with DIBP on a call. I'll PM you the onshore number to call them.

No, doing this does not affect anything whatsoever. I think I know someone from this forum who did this very recently (was invited in the last EOI round). I'll ask him to visit this thread and share his thoughts too.

No, you do not have to be offshore for the 189 grant, but remember to indicate that you are onshore (by specifying your correct onshore current address in the application) or if you (or anybody else in your application) travel offshore, then indicate that as well (using change of circumstances/ change of address) because an onshore grant is slightly different than offshore.

Bridging visa should be issued automatically and immediately by the system when you pay for your 189 visa.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I know, you can apply when onshore with the visitor visa even if it comes with 8503 No Further Stay condition, but best would be to verify with DIBP on a call. I'll PM you the onshore number to call them.

No, doing this does not affect anything whatsoever. I think I know someone from this forum who did this very recently (was invited in the last EOI round). I'll ask him to visit this thread and share his thoughts too.

No, you do not have to be offshore for the 189 grant, but remember to indicate that you are onshore (by specifying your correct onshore current address in the application) or if you (or anybody else in your application) travel offshore, then indicate that as well (using change of circumstances/ change of address) because an onshore grant is slightly different than offshore.

Bridging visa should be issued automatically and immediately by the system when you pay for your 189 visa.

Thanks a lot for your reply!
This has cleared so many doubts in my mind.

>>No, doing this does not affect anything whatsoever. I think I know someone from this forum who did this very recently (was invited in the last EOI round). I'll ask him to visit this thread and share his thoughts too.

I will really appreciate if the aforementioned person could give his thoughts as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Expats!

What type of bridging visa will I get as there are many types of bridging visas with different work conditions?

Further, If i get a certain type of bridging visa, then how much time one needs to request an another type that doesnot impose restriction on travelling to the home country?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hi! we received our 189 invitation on 16th October. I have also lodged my visitor visa yesterday. Let's hope that it gets granted without 8503 condition.

Although it's quite clear to me that I can get a bridging visa if I lodge my PR visa application while being in Australia, but I am still not sure about the work rights on BV. I have read in some posts on this forum that the work rights would be same as that of the preceding visa( in my case visitor visa), but some people say that the work rights on BV are the ones that apply for the applied visa (in my case its 189 PR visa).
Can you please shed some light on this?

·
Registered
5,859 Posts
Hi! we received our 189 invitation on 16th October. I have also lodged my visitor visa yesterday. Let's hope that it gets granted without 8503 condition.

Although it's quite clear to me that I can get a bridging visa if I lodge my PR visa application while being in Australia, but I am still not sure about the work rights on BV. I have read in some posts on this forum that the work rights would be same as that of the preceding visa( in my case visitor visa), but some people say that the work rights on BV are the ones that apply for the applied visa (in my case its 189 PR visa).
I too am pretty sure that work rights on a BV would be same as that of your current visa (visitor) and not the one that you have applied for.

·
Registered
373 Posts

You will be getting into trouble if you do not have a 'valid' visa to be onshore (and therefore are not present in Australia) during the grant of the onshore filed visa application (due to the lapsing of bridging for some reason: travelling back to home without a BVB visa etc).

So make sure you have fund and arrangements to be on shore to stay with the BVA (Bridge Visa A). and,
that you travel only once you have BVB (Bridge Visa B) granted in front of every one of the travels back home ( Post the 3 month period of stay of Visitor visa).

BVA will inherit work rights from the preceding substantial visa held. Your visitor visa, therefore, is the one considered. And , therefore, you will not have any work rights.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts