Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Had a brutal interview and presented my "proof of accommodation" which was a letter from my host (friend) stating that they'll be accommodating me during my entire stay. Of course the consulate believes that my intent to go to France is because of this so-called-host.

I don't have a rental agreement although I mentioned that I'll be paying rent. They now want a written agreement between my host and I so I can be protected and not stranded in France in case my host decides to kick me out.

It's like they're so convinced that I'm going for the wrong reasons and kept drilling me on my I chose France (and not UK, USA, Switzerland) and my study program (MBA) because it's totally unrelated to my undergraduate degree. Geez. And oh, the little annoying fact that I'm single with no kids.

What to do? I feel like the odds are against me:(

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Hi All,

Had a brutal interview and presented my "proof of accommodation" which was a letter from my host (friend) stating that they'll be accommodating me during my entire stay. Of course the consulate believes that my intent to go to France is because of this so-called-host.

I don't have a rental agreement although I mentioned that I'll be paying rent. They now want a written agreement between my host and I so I can be protected and not stranded in France in case my host decides to kick me out.

It's like they're so convinced that I'm going for the wrong reasons and kept drilling me on my I chose France (and not UK, USA, Switzerland) and my study program (MBA) because it's totally unrelated to my undergraduate degree. Geez. And oh, the little annoying fact that I'm single with no kids.

What to do? I feel like the odds are against me:(
What you need to do is remain patient and calm. This is just an entry level taste of the French baloney. Then again, from what you are saying, it really is a good thing they are asking. Is there anything wrong with them looking out for you and your safety? Give them what they ask for. Don't feel down...after all. If you want to marry and stay here....now, that is a battle! Stay strong and you'll be ok. We're here for you if you need some advice!

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
Welcome to France and the French Administration. You may be getting some hassle because of where you come from, but let me assure you that they were just as suspicious of me 20 years ago even after I married a French citizen. (Probably BECAUSE I had married a French citizen.)

Basically, they want to know just how much rent you are planning on paying your friend (as well as having some "agreement" that confirms you have to pay) so that if things go sour, they know that you could find someplace else to live.

The French are also very suspicious of career change. What you got qualified in at age 18 is supposed to be your career for life.

Sometimes, too, I think that in any case they aren't sure of, they just toss extra hurdles in your way to see if you just give up. Easier for them if you do, and then they don't have to make a big, heavy decision.

Draw up an agreement regarding your lodging with your friend. Develop a good story on the career change - either how you plan to use the MBA with your undergraduate degree area, or what motivated you to change direction. And as to being single with no kids - well, you haven't found the right partner yet and/or you don't particularly like kids (or give them a sad face and say that "it's personal").

Go back there, meet their requirements and get on with it. In some ways, it's a game and you have to show them you know how to play it.
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much for your quick and encouraging responses Kopp and Bev!

I felt really down after that interview and was even more surprised that they didn't hand back my passport immediately after that.

I told them why I chose my MBA programme and explained my future career goals which were also outlined in my motivation letter.

After I send the extra document, they'll call me to collect my passport. There's no other interview scheduled to take place after this one. I'll just do as they requested and hope for the very best.

Again, thank you both so much for your encouragement. Appreciate it a lot.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi All,

Wish I had good news to report.

Sent the embassy the agreement between my friend they're not satisfied. I believe they're questioning if it's legal for my friend to be asking me to pay rent since subleasing is not allowed in France. And unfortunately he's a renter.

This isn't working out like I hoped. What to do? Cancel my visa application?

·
Administrator
53,184 Posts
You're probably right that they are questioning your living arrangement. It would be different if your friend owned his or her home and was agreeing to let you stay there for some payment of rent. But basically they are checking to see that your living arrangement is legal and also that it is practical/durable.

If your friend were to get caught and have to throw you out, is the amount you are planning on paying rent for adquate to actually find a place on your own or otherwise legitimately on the rental market?
Cheers,
Bev

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm happy and shocked to report that I got my visa today! The day that I'm supposed to travel. I don't know how this happened. I've waited 8 weeks for this.

Now I have to scramble to get a flight out of here in a few days. This is so crazy and scary because I only have a few days to prepare. I never thought I would get it so last minute!!!

Any advice for pre-departure documents and what to first do when I arrive? I'm going insane here....Should I bring travel cheques?

Thanks a lot Bev and Koppa for your advice and encouragement! I had literally given up on this and decided to accept whatever outcome. So thank you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.