Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dears,
I'm originally from Jordan where I stay now, I applied for Australia immigration on 20/6/2009, recently the department of immigration has asked for the medical examination that means that I will get my PR within 2 – 4 weeks.

I have reserved a flight tickets on 16/1/2010 to 11/2/2010, my aim to stamp the visa, opening tax file and bank account and also to see the country and the situation there in Sydney.

Currently, I work in a Jordanian bank in Jordan as a Senior Application Officer; I have approximately 5 years of experience in various applications, including SAP & Oracle ERP systems but as a beginner level , I have MS of Computer Science very soon I will get the PMP certificate.

Actually, I don’t want to resign from my current job in Jordan until I find a job in Australia, I don’t know if it is possible to find Job within this period (26 days). If I found a good job and did the interviews, I will resign immediately but maybe I have to give 1 month notice and come back.

The other option is come back to Jordan and waits until I get a job, but in this case I cannot do the interviews in person.

I have good English skills, I have got 6.5 in IELTS, but for sure it wouldn’t be easy for me to speak English fluently from the beginning, especially to understand the Australian accent.

I would appreciate if you can advise me in what to do.
Best regards,

·
Registered
315 Posts
Hi Steafo, all the best!

You and I have the same line of thought. I won't want to land in AUS without a job in hand but I wonder on how to achieve that end. One card up my sleeve is the current MNC firm I'm with. Been here 3.5 years so I'm within my rights to "jump."

Last year I tried many online recruitment agencies. But unanimously they stated that an AUS PR is a major requirement.

Can anyone share a thought?

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Hi steafo,

If you do a search you'll find other posts on this subject (I've just replied to one:) ).

Without PR it's tough to get a job from outside Australia. Going by previous posts most agents don't reply to email and without PR they simply aren't interested since their clients are looking for people who can already work in Australia.

I realise why people need the security of getting a job here first but usually most people have to come here without a job but with enough money to keep them going for a while. Then when they get here they hunt for a job as a priority.

Regards,
Karen

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hi Steafo,

You'll probably stand a better chance of getting a job whilst you are over here validating.

Before your trip, phone or email as many agencies as you can for an interview with them. You can then go for job interviews from there.

My OH was incredibly lucky as he secured a job whilst still back in the UK. We had PR (which was key) and we looked at the job websites and applied for a couple of jobs just to see if we heard anything at all back and to gauge the job market. The next morning he had a phone call from one of the agencies wanting to set up a telephone interview with them. After than, he had a telephone interview and then a video conference with the company and got the job! But this is very rare, but not impossible.

Have a look through the job websites, see what's out there at the moment - send your CV and explain you will be in the country at a specific time for interviews and that you have PR and can start work basically at any time.

Good luck! The wait for your visa is nearly over!
Dolly

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I won't want to land in AUS without a job in hand but I wonder on how to achieve that end.?
Hi,

Realistically you'll be waiting a long time to secure a job before you get to Australia. As Karen said, most people bite the bullet and move over and then make their priority finding a job. It's not ideal but you stand a far greater chance of getting a job that way. That was going to be our original plan, but see my post above.

Dolly

·
Registered
8,429 Posts
u can also try ur luck at network sites.. contact consultants personally, keep running after them, keep calling them, u never know what works in ur favor :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts