Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum so go gentle on me!

I am just about to start applying for jobs in Australia. I work in recruitment and I can get a 457 sponsorship. I have been toying with the idea of working in either Sydney or Perth but am struggling on which one to go for as there are pluses and minuses for each one.

Bit of background
I am 32 and my fiance is 30. We have a daughter who is 9/10 months. We expect to be over in Oz by August time. We will both work in either CBD and will need to put our little girl into long hours childcare. We both work in recruitment (I work in finance recruitment, my OH works in IT Recruitment).
We both have friends who live in Sydney but none in Perth.
We are both active, enjoy sports etc and hope to have as much of an outdoor lifestyle (getting down to the beach etc) as much as possible.

My dilemma is this - firstly childcare seems to be very difficult to find in Sydney from my research on the web. Does anyone have recent experience of securing their child a place (we would put her in 5 days a week, full time). It is also alot more costly than Perth ($120 per day in Syd but approx $75 a day in perth?!).

Second dilemma is the cost of renting a place. Sydney is well, really expensive compared to the research i've done in perth. Is that what is really the case? Alot of my pal's over there are saying that its a real bum fight trying to secure a place in Sydney as 15 or so people turn up to the viewings. Is Perth like this?

Finally our concern with Perth is knowing well no-one at all. We aren't too fussed as our jobs are relatively social and allow you to hang out with other expat's and lets face it with a daughter around the age of 1 year old we are unlikely to be hanging out in clubs at all hours.

We enjoy eating out (particularly as we can't go clubbing lol!) but i'm told perth isn't great for food - is this correct?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Carnt comment on Sydney as we moved to Perth just four weeks ago.

We went to look at a house tonight 4 bed with pool $600 we got abig shock when we turned up as there must of been at least 30 couples there to view. Hopefully that was a one off as our current rental was secured before we came over from a friend.

Childcare is very expensive where ever you are, as you are on a 457 you can not claim any back from the government or anything else for that matter.

Restaurants are good in wa it all depends on what you are after, loads of little cafes on the coast that sell a great range of food and lots of great places to eat in the CBD.

The outdoor life in WA is great lots of things to do, parks, great beaches all with plenty of parking ( lots of cycle tracks).

Andy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers for that. Another probably daft question - is perth friendly? How have you found it meeting other people of a similar position to yourselves? Thanks again

Carnt comment on Sydney as we moved to Perth just four weeks ago.

We went to look at a house tonight 4 bed with pool $600 we got abig shock when we turned up as there must of been at least 30 couples there to view. Hopefully that was a one off as our current rental was secured before we came over from a friend.

Childcare is very expensive where ever you are, as you are on a 457 you can not claim any back from the government or anything else for that matter.

Restaurants are good in wa it all depends on what you are after, loads of little cafes on the coast that sell a great range of food and lots of great places to eat in the CBD.

The outdoor life in WA is great lots of things to do, parks, great beaches all with plenty of parking ( lots of cycle tracks).

Andy

·
Registered
110 Posts
Perth is very friendly, when you go to the beach or to park other parents always stop and talk, only thing you need to watch out for is the drivers I don't think you need to sit a driving test over here as no one can drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi poochibabes
i have also got my 176 ss visa on 8 feb,2012 and is planning to move there on the mid of july. i am also going through the same questions as you are. But i have got the information from my friends out there that Perth is really a very beautiful city with loads of opportunities. The rent and foods are relatively cheaper than other places of the country. so don't take too much worry...have fun..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.