Expat Forum For People Moving Overseas And Living Abroad banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm from England and looking to move within Europe to another country.

I've looked at Oz and New Zealand (outside the EU I know) but Oz seems a bit party-ish but NZ seems amazing.

I was just wondering if anyone knew any countries in the EU that did a year working holiday scheme. I've grown a bit tired of the fast pace of London but having spent time round the rest of England I'm not keen on staying anywhere else.

I've contemplated Slovenia and Czech Republic. I hold a CELTA(teaching english) qualification although I don't hold a degree. I've spent 5 years working in IT and am currently working in a desktop and server support role. Oh I only speak English as well :(

I kind of want a quiet life where people have interests and things and don't require "getting absolutely smashed" to socially bond.

I'm 23....If you need anymore info let me know :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Be careful with the rules for staying in NZ. Friends have both their children living and working there so they bought a house and moved there over two years ago. Now they have been told to get out! They are self supporting on pensions.
France, where we are is much more relaxed than UK but not easy to get a job, casual holiday jobs available but not much else. Housing cheaper than UK but food in shops dearer, thank goodness for veg. plot.

·
Registered
928 Posts
If you hold a British passport you can legally work in most places in Europe and you don't need a special 'working visa' as required in Oz & NZ. If you hold a CELTA qualification and want to teach English why not try contacting Berlitz or some of the other language schools in Europe. I know they are always looking for native English teachers, sometimes without experience, but your qualification and any experience shouldn't make it too hard to get something. Generally, they are not that well paid but once you get established and build up a reputation and private client base it can be worthwhile. If I was 23 and looking for a challenge I would take a crash course in German and head to Berlin, Dresden or Leipzig to teach English. I am sure the language schools might be able to help you to find accommodation for your initial stay. Of course, plenty other places to choose in Europe but I guess some are paid better than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts